Saturday, August 14, 2010

This was a quiet Saturday.   Chelsea woke me up at about 1:30AM to go outside.   That is no too bad anymore as I can usually get right back to sleep, but that poor little doggie coughed almost steadily the rest of the night.  I was surprised when she finally came to wake me up that she still had quite a bit of zip.   We went for our morning walk before I fed her. She has not had much trouble during the day so that is encouraging.

I was so tired with my broken sleep that I took my nap this morning.

We had ham, potatoes and veggies for lunch.   I fixed some yellow squash for myself and Dick had green beans.  Then I spent the afternoon watering plants, and freezing some squash and drying herbs until it was time to go to church.  Mass was interesting.  Fr. Van Beek's sister - Sr. Joan Marie Van Beek - who is a missionary School Sister of Notre Dame working  in Africa.   She was our speaker for Mission Sunday.

She told us a story of one of their Sisters, who runs a clinic.   A mother came from a nearby village with her young child.   She had previously lost a child who died during a seizure and this new child was also subject to seizures.  When she handed the boy to Sr. Carol, he started seizing and fell limp in her arms.   The mother started to scream and wail and took off like a shot back to her village believing that her child had died.   Sr. Carol in the meantime was treating the boy.  She cooled him with a bath and gave him medicine as it was apparently malaria involved and laid him down to nap, then couldn't find the mother.   Shortly thereafter, they heard a group of people coming down the road crying and in funeral robes with a small little casket.   The mother had run all the way back to her village and her friends and family were with her to pick up her child's body.  So. Sr. Carol  told her to calm down and wait.    Then she went to wake the little boy up.   She handed the very alive child to his mother who proclaimed a miracle.    And that Sr. Carol was a miracle worker.

Why not.

Bret called tonight.  They have been enjoying the best weather in the nation but it is supposed to get hot there next week.   He has moved to Norco and is renting a room from the mother of some friends.  The woman is in a rehab center and is glad to have someone taking care of the house for her.  He has been working lots of overtime lately.

Now I am watching the first Packer pregame.   We are well into the third quarter and the score is tied.   I don't know if I will be able to stay up for the whole thing but we will see.

Talke to you all tomorrow.

God love You

Mary 

No comments: