Sunday, February 27, 2011

Today was a lovely day.    I woke up to sunshine.   Chilly, of course, but sunshine.   The snow from last night had been plowed and shoveled, so with the sun, I was able to go to the UCC over on Highway 67 for the CWI meeting very safely and we had a nice turnout.   

My friends from the "south" (Milwaukee) did not come because they were worried about the weather.   Perhaps it was worse down there and I think they may have gotten freezing rain.    They missed a nice afternoon but with the weather we have been experiencing this month, one must be practical.

Dick slept most of the morning as he had a rather restless night and finally got into a good sleep which lasted until almost 11:AM.    So I fixed egg salad sandwiches for our lunch and then got myself ready and loaded up for the CWI program at 1:00PM.   Dorothy Rose and I got there at 1PM to get things set up.   A couple of people came early anyway so it was a good thing we were there.

We officially began at 2PM and had a nice turnout.   There were 15 of us in all.  Debbie O'Grady did a wonderful power point presentation of the trip.   She was able to show it to us on the video equipment in the church proper.   So we began our program there.   While Debbie was setting up, Joan Kramer read the reflections on the trip that she had written about a week after we returned and it was so special.   I must call Joan and set up a reflexology treatment.   I am really overdue.

After the powerpoint, we made our way to the lobby and the fireside room where, Joan Kramer, Dorothy Rose, Joan Brigham and myself had displays of some of our purchases and books displayed to share and invite questions.   Both Joan Kramer and I had set up photo viewers that were scrolling our pictures as everybody was gathering and talking.  

Then Dorothy Rose and I brought out the carts with tea (along with cream and sugar in the raw for those who wanted to drink it like they do in Ireland) and my Barm Brack, Chocolate Pie from Debbie, Scones from Joan Kramer and Cheese and crackers from Joan Brigham. 

We all visited and did more sharing.   We finished with a special ceremony.   I brought candles for everybody.   Then I lit a small pillar candle I got at the Solas Brede with the the candle that I received that was lit from the eternal candle also at Solas Brede.   We then said a prayer together- This is the prayer

Prayer from St. Brigid of Ireland

I would like the angels of Heaven to be among us.
I would like an abundance of peace.
I would like full vessels of charity.
I would like rich treasures of mercy.
I would like cheerfulness to preside over all.
I would like Jesus to be present.
I would like the three Marys of illustrious renown to be with us.
I would like the friends of Heaven to be gathered around us from all parts.
I would like myself to be a rent payer to the Lord;
that I should suffer distress, that he would bestow a good blessing upon me.
I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings.
I would like to be watching Heaven's family drinking it through all eternity.

I also gave water from the holy wells of Ireland to whomever had little bottles and wanted some.   Those who did not have bottles are going to get together with me later to get their share.

Nancy Coenen and Pat Becher, who shoot with me, did not have bottles.  We have decided that I will bring the water to the League bust up party for them.   We also decided that we will light the Brigid Candle and read the poem for the crowd.    We think they would like a lake of beer.

Take care.   God love you

Mary

No comments: