Sunday, July 19, 2009

Except for Mass, I got to stay home all day today.

We got a little rain yesterday, but I spent a good part of the afternoon, watering the deck plants and the front gardens.

Dick walked three times today for 5 minutes each time AND we got his shower accomplished. Those things also take a lot of time.

We had cheeseburgers on slices of Fireside cheese bread for dinner this noon. I tried a recipe I found for flavored potato chips made in the microwave. They were really good and very easy. You just scrub red potatoes, slice them really thin (l/16 inch), spread them out and coat with olive oil. Then you sprinkle with chili powder and cumin. Place three paper towels on a microwavable plate and layer as many as fit "comfortably". Microwave for three minutes, turn and microwave again for another 2/5 to three minutes.

We had breakfast for supper. Since I went to Mass this morning and we just had some early toast for breakfast, it seemed logical to have our eggs and sausage for supper. It was darned good too.

Bart called tonight and I talked to him and Barb. That was reassuring. Richard called tonight too. Dick had called them on Saturday because his computer was not connecting to the internet. Richard and Brenda were out near La Crosse to Brenda's family reunion. He was pleased to hear that Dick's computer seems to have learned how to fix itself. But we had a nice visit.

I didn't mention that on the way home from the Fireside last evening we saw two parachuters coming down. They did this funny flip when they got close to the ground. It looked like a stunt to me but we saw them both land safely. I wouldn't mind being up there where it is quiet and peaceful again. I did that once behind jeep using a para sail. What a rush.

I wrote a poem about the experience. Here it is.








RIDE THE SKY


Tethered to the jeep
A long umbilical cord
Is anchored – To prevent me
From achieving orbit.

The chute stretches out behind
Held aloft to catch the wind
By friends who somehow
Talked me into flying.

The jeep moves, slowly
Until the cord is taut.
And I run, praying that
The chute will fill and lift.

Billowing behind, it does
Fill and shoot skyward.
Carrying me still stepping
Up to the blue above me.

Climbing wild wind currents
Into the cloudless sky,
I look down on an endless
Carpet of desert below

Rising on wings of imagination
To quiet clear blue
Above the noise – Floating -
Alone – Free – I ride the sky.

High above the desert,
Above the world.
I glide like tuft of dandelion
Or eagle or butterfly.

Below, the others are planted.
They don’t know the joy
They don’t know the freedom
Of soundless flight.

Embracing the vast silence
I laugh out loud.
Close to the face of God
I know why the songbird sings.


Love

Mary

No comments: