Sunday, March 22, 2009

I did get to stay home all day today. I got up at 6AM anyway. Chelsea and I had a nice walk. It was only in the low 30s but the air was still and the birds were singing and we enjoyed ourselves anyway.

When we got back, I fixed breakfast for Dick and me. Then poor Chelsea became very disappointed in me. I decided that this was the best day for her to get a bath. She was gray all over again and we will have company next weekend, what with the kids being around. She is now simply gorgeous and ready for anything. Of course, it took the starch right out of her. She has been sleeping almost all day.

I make a really good dump soup today. Also some cranberry scones. I froze a slew of them so I can bring them out when the kids are here for breakfast next weekend.

This afternoon, I spent some time downstairs ironing and on the sewing machine putting edging on a quilt for Mom. I want to bring it to her so that she can finish basting the last of it. Something for her to do to keep her hands busy.

Dick and I were watching a game show today and a young lady had trouble determining that polliwog is another name for tadpole.

I asked Dick if he had ever brought tadpoles home in a jar. He had not. When I was a kid, we would go down to Richardson's pond in the spring when the tadpoles hatched and bring a jar full home. We always tried to grow them to frogs. We usually made it til there were two legs on the little fishy looking things. Sometimes even four legs. But seldom did they get to be full fledged frogs and let go. I don't remember how long the process takes but we would forget to bring fresh pond water to them after a while. They were really cute little things. They started out as fish, then grew two hind legs, then two front legs, then the tail would begin to absorb and they were teeny tiny frogs.

Some of the boys would build rafts to row around the pond. One summer day, I climbed on one of the rafts and it started drifting out into the pond. Nora ran and got Mother who came down with Mrs. Painter and boots but they decided that it was too swampy and I was too far out to wade to me. So Mrs. Painter went back home and got her son Kenny who found one of the other rafts and rowed it out to save me.

All my love - Have a nice Monday.

Mary

No comments: