Sunday, November 09, 2008

There were a few snow flurries this afternoon. Nothing accumulated today either. Chelsea and I went out just as the day was dawning and had a brisk but pleasant walk. When it is not windy, I do not mind the cold.

I spent a good chunk of the morning sitting with Dick, then came home to walk Chelsea and fix and eat my lunch so I could get back at a proper time to take off his stump shrinker and let his leg breath before we put the clean one back on.

Jim and Michelle came over at close to half time of the Packer game (Boy was THAT a disappointment. Got to have good kickers or we are out of luck. The game was pretty good up til then too.) Did I tell you that Ross, the social director, put up a tribute to the veterans in the solarium? He did a nice job and I had brought in a picture of Dick in Korea. So Jim and Michelle got to see it. Jim remembers wearing the shirt that Dick wore in the shot. I never knew him when he was so young.

I zipped home again at 4:30 to feed Chelsea and pick up soup and a sandwich for my dinner. Dick and I ate together in his room.

I sewed on the tea caddy that I am making.

Altogether it was a lazy, quiet, uneventful Sunday. Just the way we like it. We are renewing our cribbage skills too.

The other day I was talking to a friend and she mentioned an Indian tradition. It reminded me of the true story of the Choctow Indians who sent money to Ireland during the famine. The following is from Wicapedia

Midway through the Great Irish Famine (1845–1849), a group of Choctaws collected $710 (although many articles say the original amount was $170 after a misprint in Angi Debo's "The Rise and Fall of the Choctaw Nation") and sent it to help starving Irish men, women and children. "It had been just 16 years since the Choctaw people had experienced the Trail of Tears, and they had faced starvation ... It was an amazing gesture. By today's standards, it might be a million dollars" according to Judy Allen, editor of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma's newspaper, Bishinik, based at the Oklahoma Choctaw tribal headquarters in Durant, Oklahoma. To mark the 150th anniversary, eight Irish people retraced the Trail of Tears.[54]

I have always been impressed by their generosity. One year at Irish Fest, a Choctaw artist called Gary White Deer showed his work. I got a book mark but would really like a print or something of his work.

Love

Mary

No comments: