Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The day started VERY early. The phone rang at 4AM. It was Dick. He had a problem. The call button cord had broken, apparently it got caught in the bed mechanism or something, and he could not get help to his room. He was in bed and had been trying since 2:30 to get some one's attention. Finally he just called me. I looked up the number as I got my sweats and a jacket on and called as I was driving to the Center. When I got there they were just swinging him into his wheel chair. He was a bit shook and so sorry that he had to wake me. The staff had never seen a cord break like that before and told him that next time he should just YELL until someone answers. But - we had a better idea - he now has the number at the center desk and could just call them on his phone. They said that they used to have a patient who always called them because she could not remember how to use the call button.

So, I went home and tried to go back to sleep but that was rather futile. I got two short rests with perhaps a bit of sleep before I headed back to see him at 8:30AM.

I left again at 9:30 to pick up Chelsea for her appointment for another blood draw today. Not good news. The BUN level is still increasing and Dr. Connors is suggesting taking her off of one of the meds that helps the cough to see if that will help the kidneys. It is all iffy but the new med is supposed to be really good for the kidneys. We will just have to try it and see.

I took my lunch back to the Center and ate with Dick and the guys in the dining room after he had his PT. Then I took a nap. Not long, perhaps another half an hour but it helped. I stayed with Dick until 4:30PM. He had occupational therapy this afternoon but the rest of the time was quiet. We missed it but the social director had a special Veterans program. It was while Dick was having his therapy. But Ross had prepared a special framed certificate for each of the veterans. It has their name, branch of service and which war they served in. We put Dick's up on a shelf in his room. Ross also brought a red white and blue boutonniere which Dick wore proudly.

Anyway, I came home at 4:30PM and stayed. I am really tired. I had put pork chops and cabbage in the slow cooker so supper was easy. I called Bret at about 6PM and we had a lovely visit. He had called last night before I got home and was available again this evening. He sure sounds good and is planning on being back here for a visit next summer. Yippee.

I heard from Leslie today too. Her husband Bill's sister Debbie died yesterday. We all prayed for her earlier this year. Now we need to pray for Bill and his family.

Guess that is all the news.

A friend sent me the following quote from When Angels Speak: Inspiration from Touched by and Angel by Martha Williamson.

There are rivers for you to cross, but when you walk through the waters, He will be with you. There are mountains for you to climb. But when you cannot take another step...He will carry you. There are gardens, jungles, oceans, and caves. There are people to cherish and hearts to change. There is a life to live here. And He will hold your and all the way if you will just come into the light and have faith.

I think it is beautiful so should be shared with you all too.

Love

Mary

No comments: