Sunday, September 23, 2007

What a weekend. The Badgers won last night and the Packers won this afternoon.

This morning I got up early to go to the 8AM Mass. Fr. Van Beeck is very clever. When we studied this last Monday, we had to check the notes to see what some of the archaic words that Amos used meant. Fr. Van Beeck defined them BEFORE we heard the reading, then talked about it. It was about merchants cheating their customers but he pointed out that this is the seventh commandment - Thou shalt not steal. One thing he said that stuck. When we are overcharged, we are quick to notice and ask for our due. What about when we are accidentally undercharged.

We had a nice Sunday breakfast. Chelsea LOVES Sunday breakfasts. There are always nice egg bits and pieces of toast or breakfast meats left on the plates for her.

I went out to Rhine today to shoot my league pistol. A friend, Nancy Roehre, I think I mentioned this, went with me. We had a great time. First we went down to shoot pistol. I gave her basic instructions in safety and in what to do. Then I shot my first league (which was awful) and she shot. She only hit the target once on the first time. My second and third targets were much better. I think I was so distracted with my teaching that I was not concentrating. No excuse, just a reason. We all know that I am easily distracted.

Nancy did much better on her second and third rounds too. She hit the target three times the second time and had a nice cluster of maybe 7 on the third. She liked it and we will do that again. Then we went upstairs and got a coke and watched the game for a bit until a team went out to shoot trap. We went outside to watch them. She had lots of questions. Fortunately Doc was there to help me answer them. She asked how heavy the guns are so when the shooters came off the line, I asked Jim Willfahrt to let her heft his gun. He was more than willing and then offered to let her shoot a couple of rounds to see how it works. He took her out and with his instruction, shot twice and actually hit the second one. We were all cheering.

I think I may have someone to shoot with, maybe only occasionally, but she likes it.

Home again, Dick and I headed to Bobbie and Bill's and took care of my sweet kitties. Then home again. Yesterday, when I was over at Jim and Michelle's to pick up the wonderful gift bags that they gave me, I mentioned that I had assembled an enchalada stack for supper tonight and they both moaned like Chelsea does when I am fixing food. SO I invited them for dinner. We had the stacks, and refried beans and salad with ice cream and strawberries for dessert. I also put out the pear bread as Jim had mentioned that some nuts did not seem to be bothering him any more. This had pecans in it and he was able to eat it without apparent problems. So I sent some home with them.

Now we are all wound down.

By the way - a commercial. St. John the Baptist Church has a yearly Super Raffle. Each member of the parish gets 5 tickets. They sell for $20. However, the top prize is $10,000 and there are 41 other prizes starting at $2000 and going down to $100. So there are 42 chances to win more than one spends. Better odds than the lottery. Let me know if you are interested.

A friend is someone who knows the song in your hear and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. Unknown author.

I am REALLY good at remembering words to songs if you need a friend like that.

Love

Mary

No comments: