Sunday, August 07, 2005

What a day. Busy every minute. As I mentioned, the "German Choir" sang at Blessed Trinity this morning at the 10:30AM Mass. We sang Dona Nobis at the Offeratory, and The Kyria and the Sanctus during Communion. There were only about 11 of the original 16 or so of us that started out and went to the event, but I think we really sounded GOOOOOD. I talked to Bart and Barbara tonight and I told Barbara, my little German speaking daughter in law, that she probably would have giggled at some of our pronunciations, but she would have been proud of the effort and pleased with the beautiful sound.

In Sheboygan county, German Mass generally means a Polka Mass, which if done well can be nice, but this is just very beautiful liturgical music.

After church, I changed clothes at Mother's house and then headed right out to Rhine Plymouth to help out at the County Shoot which we hosted this year. I think it turned out quite well. Bobbie worked it too. There were no complainers and a lot of food, and drink went over the counter. Tons of water and soda in the early 2/3s of the day because people are very good about not drinking until they are done shooting. We also had raffles all day and they sold out quickly. There were three top shooters at the end in the A class. They all had 100 straight birds (the best which means no misses for those of you unfamiliar with the sport. It is like a 300 in bowling) So we had to have a shootoff. Would you believe that there there were no misses until the THIRD shootoff. All three shooters shot a perfect 150 birds in a row. We finally finished shooting at about 6:00PM. Then of course Del and Tom got to be MCs and give out the awares. After that I asked John if I could go home and he said OK. We were selling steak sandwiches so I brought three home for supper and we ate them along with some great cookies that Mother sent home with me.

So that was my day. Dick said it was quiet here, except that Joan Otto called with 4 names for the prayer chain. Dick is never really thrilled with that because Joan talks awfully fast and can sometimes be hard to understand, but my brave soldier did it for the poor souls who need the prayers.

Talked to Bart and Barb tonight. They are doing OK. Barb is over the ear infection she had and Bart sounds pretty good. At least he was willing to visit and as it was later in the day this means a lot to me.

Roxie has come up on the desk to visit. I sometimes think that she thinks I am just another cat. She tries to communicate with me and is certain that I really do understand.

Jeff left zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers at Mother's for everybody so I will be busy tomorrow and the next day cooking, baking and/or preserving. Dick and Jim are not fond of the squashes but will eat some selected recipes that I have found. I will bake some bread with the zucchini and I can make a batch of refrigerator pickles with some of the cukes. Love the harvest. Everything tastes so good.

Wish nobody was hungry tonight. I could feed a whole bunch of them if I had a way to get the food to them.

Love

Mary

No comments: