Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Bobbie and I went to Quilt Guild this evening. It was very long but in this case we really felt that it was worth the time.

The first speaker was a lady who makes dolls. She has shown and sold them at the Kohler Doll Show, so you know that she is good. All of her dolls are unique and she said that she has made over 900 of them. They have evolved. She is going to come back in March to give a class on her "Kindred Spirit" dolls and I think I will take the class. I don't want to become a dollmaker, but would like to design a doll.

Then, on break, they set up for another presentation, which Bobbie and I thougher was goint to be rather much. However, as it turned out, it was a slide presentation from two nurses in the neonatal unit at Sinai Hospital where we take the quilts for the At Risk Babies. They had pictures of the unit and some of the parents and babies. It was wonderful but made me a little sad because it brought back so many memories. I am so glad to be able to be a part of something for these littlest of people. The presentors said that the parents are always amazed that they get to take the quilt home with the baby. How nice is that.

I showed the antique family quilt that Mother found over at the Deeley's years ago. I think I mentioned it. The quilt had been covered in ticking and was used for years to cover car radiators in the winters. It was the hit of show and tell. All quilters like to see the old ones. I think it makes us aware of the permanence of our art.

Don't forget to watch the Today Show. I hope you got my midday reminder or pick this up early.

Until later.

Mary

No comments: