Saturday, January 14, 2012

I just got home from 4PM Mass a bit ago and found my Roxie waiting at the door pointing to the clock.   I WAS, you know, five minutes after 5PM and she should have the food down on the ground by 4:55PM.   Everybody knows that.

I slept until almost 8AM this morning.  That was nice.   We got up then and managed to get everything ready for the day pretty efficiently.  I can't believe how much there is to do before we event get to breakfast.

I fixed fried potatoes, spam and egg for breakfast.    That tasted good.   Then I finished my football picks.  I was quite disappointed.   One of the sources that I use for my picking did not report this week so I used only partial information.  There are only four games so I can't do too badly,   I hope.  However,   New Oreleans is not doing too well for me so far.

Except for Mass, I was home all day.    I baked that biscotti, recipe to follow.   It turned out kind of ugly, but tastes good so I will pick the best looking pieces to take to my friend's house and call it good.

I did some more quilt cutting out this afternoon.

This morning Andrea, the home health aid, was supposed to be here at 10:30AM.  It was almost 11:30AM when she got here, but we were here all day anyway.   She comes from Two Rivers.   Wow.   She also has four children, including a new baby.   Dick likes her because she knows what she is doing and doesn't talk a lot.    He appreciates that some of the aids think they have to entertain him but he is just as happy with just a little talk.   I suppose you find that surprising.

I am hoping to crawl in bed early tonight.   I know I will have to get up with Dick at least once but a head start wouldn't hurt.    We purchased a thing called a bed pull up for him and so far it is a godsend.   Sometimes he has trouble sitting up if his prostheses are not on and this gives him a ballast.   Which means he doesn't have to use me.  And it IS working.

So,  until tomorrow.

Dia Dhuit

Mary

Biscotti

1 Pkg. butter pecan cake   (I used spice cake today)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
3 tbsp. maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. instant coffee granules
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup white baking chips
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 cup finely chopped pecans

In a large bowl, beat cake mix, flour, butter, eggs, syrup, coffee granules and vanilla until well blended (dough will be very thick.)  Fold in chips.

Divide dough in half.  Flour just your hands if it is too sticky.  On an ungreased baking sheet, shape each portion into a 12" X 2" rectangle.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Place pans on wire racks.  When cool enough to handle, transfer to a cutting board;  cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4 inch slices.  Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until firm.   Remove to wire racks to cool completely.  

In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and coffee.  (Today, I just frosted them lightly with some leftover icing that I had.) Drizzle over biscotti.  sprinkle with pecans.   Let stand until set.   Store in an airtight container.

No comments: