Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Last night was very tiring,   Dick had trouble sleeping and needed me to help him getting up and down. 

But the day was not too bad.   I went grocery shopping early this morning.  That went quite well and I brought home donuts for our breakfast.

I spent the morning washing and getting ready for the Bloomsday event tonight.   I had to prepare my readings and speeches.  Wait til I till you about that.

Dick was so exhausted today that it was after 4PM before we got his bandage changed.   I put fresh sheets on the bed and got his towels all washed and ready.

Bobbie got here at about 6:30PM so I left for 52 Stafford and Bloomsday, picking up Kate on the way.   It was raining as it was off and on all day.    We got there before the musicians.   When they arrived I talked to them about our plans so that we could mix in with their playing and singing.

I was able to tell them who we are, and to give a history of Bloomsday and James Joyce.   Then after more music, I read a poem from Joyce,  then later  I told about the Burgundy and Gorgonzola and read some of his quotes.   For example:  "A corpse is meat gone bad.   Well and what's cheese?  Corpse of milk."

They are really very good and I wish I could go more often on Wednesdays.   Dick and I went together when I was taking that course on Irish music from the U W Madison.   We needed to attend a session or Craic, as we say in Ireland.  He enjoyed it too.    If they ever get handicap accessible, perhaps we can go back again .

Two ladies who saw the notice in the paper about Bloomsday came to the event.   One of them, Kathy is Scottish.   She was almost apologizing for not being Irish.   We told the crowd the names of the 7  Celtic Nations and how they are all equally important.   We just happen to have more Irish in our area.   Mike, one of the musicians, said that his wife is of Brittany descent.    How exciting it would be to get one of that origin in our group.   I told Kathy that we have a wonderful source for Cornish and would like to explore the other nations also.

I got to sing my "signature " song.   Whiskey on a Sunday before I had to come home.   I was home by 9:45PM which is pretty close to what I figured.   I would have liked to stay longer, but this was a great interlude and I did not have to get too worried about Dick.   Having Bobbie here is such a God send.  

So it is after 11PM and you know I will turn into a pumpkin soon.   Dick is in bed, I hope sleeping. Perhaps I can get a few winks before he wakes up and needs help getting his legs put back together.

Love you all and God loves you too.   Thanks for all your prayers and concern.

Mary

No comments: