Friday, April 08, 2011

This is a day that I will not forget.   I will take it as it unfolded as it turned out to be very productive and fulfilling in the morning and then quite traumatic in the afternoon.

I got up at 6:30AM to get my shower over with and breakfast before Jody came to clean at 8AM.  Jody is all excited.   One of her granddaughters, who she has not seen for a while, is spending the weekend with them.  Apparently a custody thing and her son now has visitation.

So I did my usual computer catchup and straightening then went down into the den to work on my quilt projects for a while.    I also took the dried apples out of the dehydrator.  They are a bit overdone, not chewy, but are more like chips and really taste pretty good.  While downstairs I sewed one more strip on the quilt top that I intend to be MY quilt and assembled the Broken Dishes square for this year's two block of the month club.   Now I am only 1 behind as I have til next month to do that one and the two we received the patterns for on Tuesday.

I joined my friends at Dairy Queen for lunch, stopping at Pick and Save for a couple of minor groceries.  Do you know that they don't seem to make Delicare soap anymore which I use for Dick's leggings and stump covers.  I did find Ivory Snow in a powder which I will try for a while.

EVERYBODY was at lunch for the first time in MONTHS.  Dawn was there for the second week in a row.   Mary came and Joyce is back from Arizona.   So we filled the table and got caught up on a lot of gossip.

This is where things get traumatic.   When I got home I stopped to get the mail and decided to take our neighbor Dick his mail and walk his dog Katrina as I told you he has been sick.   Last night I had told him that he ought to go to the doctor and he assured me that he had eaten something.  

Well, I opened the door, which he has kept unlocked while he has been sick, and Katrina came to greet me but ran right back to the bedroom.   I called but there was no answer, so I went in to drop the mail and gather the dog, calling louder as I went into the house.   Dick was lying on his bed looking very much asleep but he did not respond even when I hollered and Katrina was even kind of bumping him.  So I walked around the bed and touched his cheek and found that it was cold.   

I picked up the phone and dialed 911 as I took Katrina on her leash out of the house.   The 911 response was very professional and quick.  The police and paramedics were there within minutes.   I told them as I told the 911 operator that I was sure that he was deceased.   They went in, with equipment, and confirmed my findings.   As it turns out he probably died sometime early this morning.    I am sure glad that I went in so he did not go unloved for too long.    He looked very peaceful lying there, like he just fell asleep.  There was not sign of any trauma at all.   

Poor Katrina, I don't know what will happen to her.   She is a loveable little dog but does "piddle when excited".   I am hoping that Tammy, Dicks ex girlfriend and still his friend, will take Katrina as Tammy often watched her when Dick would visit his children.

So now you know the traumatic event of today.

This evening, Nancy and I went shooting.   Neither of us set any records.   I hope that next week is better.

So pray for my friend Dick tonight as he makes his way to God.  Perhaps he will stick around a bit until his son and daughter get here.  

God love you

Mary

1 comment:

Jim and Michelle said...

Mary, my gosh what a day. That's too bad. Dick was a really nice person. It is nice to know he went peacefully it seems. Glad you were there and took care of calling 911 and Katrina. - Michelle