Monday, April 11, 2011

A much cooler temperature to start.   And it did not get up to 80 again, but the sun shone most of the day and after the windy night it was pleasant.    We got none of the really dangerous weather they predicted and we got no rain either.

Another goofy day.  I got in the car to go to Bible study and it was DEAD with capital letters.  I called the dealer service and he suggested that perhaps the steering wheel had locked.  So I tried to get it to release but it would not work.  Then he said to call the roadside service which I did.  They sent someone out within the hour with equipment to check things AND to tow if necessary. However,  as it turned out the battery was just totally dead.   So he told me to run it for at least 20 minutes and perhaps have Motorville check it out.   I had already canceled bible study which was over by so I drove to Falls to visit Mom and bring her the pills and hearing aid batteries that I had for her.  I will get an appointment with Motorville to have it checked within the next week.

Mom and I  had a great visit, as usual.  She had a couple of bills to write checks for and I will cash a check so that she has cash at home.   Then we tried to solve the problems in the government, both state and federal, during our visit.    Now if they will just ask for help we can do something about it.

I got home and Dick was still napping so I let him sleep as we had lots of easy food for lunch and I could offer him choices when he woke up.   Then Kurt from Mike's Appliance called.   The part for the dishwasher was in and he came right out and installed it.   So that is ANOTHER thing out of the way.

I did remember to take the newspaper clippings that I had scanned into Ancestry back so I could transcribe the stories.   Old clippings are just kind of faded and do not scan too well.  

Thursday, June 1, 1943

STATE COLONEL NOT UNFORGETFUL OF SECURITY TALKS, PYLE FINDS

by Ernie Pyle

SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND - The commander of the tank destroyer battalion I have been visiting is Lieut. Col. Joseph Deeley of Sheboygan Falls, Wis.   He used to run a wool carding mill there.  I like his attitude toward things.   When I first showed up he was perfectly courteous but he made plenty sure that I had proper credentials and what not.   As he said, they have had plenty of security preached into them back home and this indeed is a critical period and he isn't taking any chances.

But one he had assured himself I was all right he called in his sergeants and told them to go around and tell their men they were perfectly free to show me any and all equipment they had and talk to me as freely as they wanted to.

As I told him later, I don't think he need have bothered.  for these boys, approaching war for the first time , pumped my so thoroughly on what war is like that I hardly got a chance to ask any questions of them.   Maybe I;'ll have to write some security regulations of my own just out self-protection.   Who the devil is reporting this war, anyway.



In the lower right hand corner of the story about Uncle Jack was this - part of an article about Ireland - strange.

"ELECTION IN IRELAND
WON BY  de VALERA

Dublin Ireland - (AP)- Prime Minister Eamon de Valera won a clear cut victory in Eirie's general Election Tuesday with the incomplete count of returns Thursday showing his Fianna Fail party with 68 seats in the dial (parliament) only three"

Interesting)


You might enjoy one of the family transcriptions too so here it is:

THEY ARE SERVING IN THE U.S. AND OVERSEAS

Sheboygan Falls Couple Has Three Sons In Service

Three sons in the army, two of them overseas- those are the contributions of Mr. and Mrs. John Bowser, 404 Washington Street, Sheboygan Falls, toward the nation's greater war effort.

Their two youngest sons have been in the longest, both leaving with the national guards in October, 1940.  Roman, now 21, and George, 23, left at that time together but their paths have since separated.   Roman decided after more than a year of regular military training that his real interest lay in flying, and so in March he transferred to the air corps beginning training as an aviation cadet.   He is nearing the end of that schooling now, and by January he expects to have his wings.

In the basic flying school at Bainbridge, Ga. he is classed as a pilot and all of his letters home express the utmost enthusiasm about flying before he entered service, Roman was employed by the Pure Oil Company.

George, who decided to remain on the ground, has gone into the infantry and is now stationed in Australia.   His letters home indicate a liking for the down-under continent and he has the utmost in praise for the many fine people he has been meeting there.   He has been writing regularly and the letters come through without difficulty.   In Sheboygan Falls he had been employed at the Bemis Manufacturing Company.

Their oldest son, Noel, who is 25, is a technical sergeant in the army and is doing radio communications work with the field artillery at some Atlantic overseas point.   In service since August, 1941, he had been stationed in New York, when in August of this year he left for his unknown destination.   It is believed that he went to Africa but he can't reveal his whereabouts.  He emphasizes, however, that he is keeping plenty busy with his communications duties, and since leaving this country he has attained his present rank of technical sergeant.  At the time of his entry into the army, he was employed in Milwaukee at the Stolper Steel Company.

All three of the Bowser boys are graduates of Sheboygan Falls High School.


I remember when I was about 5 and the uncles were all in town fresh from the war and most of them were not married and I was probably their sweet little niece.   We would be at the church festival and if I ran out of money to play the games, all I had to do was go see one of them and look cute and they would give me coins to play more.

Great memories and they were all SO handsome.

God love you
Mary

No comments: