Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A moderately busy day.   Kind of chilly and cloudy too.   Rather dreary actually.  But we got Mc Donalds breakfast which is fun because it reminds of the days we shopped together and ALWAYS went out for breakfast.

I went grocery shopping this morning.   That turned out to be quite the adventure.   First, I got to the store and had to return home because I had forgotten my list.    Horror of horrors.  

Then, when I bought the lottery tickets that are going to make us rich some day, I asked if I could use the Pig Points that I earned today for credit on the turkey I planned on putting in the freezer.   I was told that this was just fine.

The shopping was rather fun.   But I was totally disorganized and kept having to go back to pick things up. Took forever!     I rather enjoyed it.  So, I get to the checkout and the computer program that records the Pig Points is DOWN.    So - the box man (he is not a boy) helped me load my groceries into the car and I went back to get this figured out.   I got a refund for my turkey.  The computer had given me the discount price of .45 per pound but I still had $7. credit which they gave back to me in cash.   So I am rich again.


I had fun in the liquor department after the grocery shopping because I had a lot of coupons and you know how I LOVE coupons.   So I have stocked up on some bottle wines.   Some are VERY expensive (for us)   One started off at $11.   Wow.

We are going through our books and getting ready to donate those that we know we will never read again an do not have a special place in our hearts.   I will take them to St. Vinnie's when we are through sorting.

Tonight I picked up Sy Regan and we went to Mead library for Karl Elder's monthly Poet's gathering.   It was fun.   I read a poem I wrote for Courtney and got interesting comments on it.  A nice group of people.   I felt out of my realm at first but am settling in and feel more comfortable now.

I brought my tribute to Uncle George to share with Sy.  I will print a copy for him.   Uncle George was my godfather.   He would go downtown once a week of an evening and make his rounds of the bars to interact with his friends.    At the Villager, Rosemary Eigenberger, Ione Otto an Uncle George had a limerick contest for a while.    Rosemary shared the limericks with me and I copied them and printed up a small chapbook for the family.   After we are gone, I hope this little book will be handed down in the family stories to keep his memory alive.

Here is one of his limericks.


Dear Edna St. Vincent Millay
Tis said wrote a poem each day
But its hard to convince
Even Friends of " Old Vince"
That she really had that much to say.


GD

Quite a guy my Uncle George.

God love you

Mary

No comments: