Friday, September 24, 2010

Whew - this turned out to be quite a day.  We got up shortly before 7AM and got ourselves all put together and fed before Jody arrived to clean at 8AM.   I also boiled the lemon balm leaves and left them to steep  and dissolved the sugar and other additives to put into a primary fermentor so I could assemble the lemon balm wine when Bobbie got her later this morning

I left at 9:30AM so that I could stop at Kate's with some information, food and containers that she had shared food for us in.   We had a cup of tea and a short visit before I had to go to see Dr. Cheryl for a check on my eyes.  I am getting an adjustment on my prescription as there is a change, probable because a cataract is developing but of course that is not anywhere near ready to correct.   So we will change the lenses.   I have a one time free change since my last change so will take advantage of that as I can notice blurriness especially in my right eye.

Got home a bit later than I wanted too.  Bobbie beat me.   But that is OK, it gives her and her Dad a chance to visit too.  Roxie doesn't complain either.   We had Chicken Waldorf salad and cookies for lunch, then Bobbie and I hit the winery.

We did a lot. 

First we racked the Strawberry into a secondary fermenter (a gallon jug.) 

Then I mixed the rest of my Lemon Balm into a primary fermenter. 

Then we mixed Bobbie's new wine, a parsley/rice wine.  We laughed as the directions comment that one should not be alarmed if there is a smell of chicken broth at the beginning of fermentation as this will go away.

And finally we bottled the persimmon wine that was ready, having been racked three times.  We always taster the last little bit but it was really very raw.   As my Dad would say - let it age.

Tonight Nancy picked me up at 4:45PM so we could shoot pistol league.  With the wind the way it is, I am sure that the trap shooters will be few to none.  So they were glad to have some business.   Both Nancy and I did pretty good.   I know that both of our averages for these three were over 50 which is our goal for this league. 

The Beer Tasting event was not as good as Jim had hoped but was OK I guess and they hope if they do it next year it will be better because word should have spread.  We have lots of beer left for sale, so I bought 2 six assorted six packs so that Dick can try some of the different ones and perhaps Bobbie and Richard too over the next two months.  It is a surprise for Dick so don't tell him.

Home again, I ate a leftover chicken wrap.   Dick had decided on some more Waldorf before I left.   Then I settled in for a quiet evening.   I have to stay up until 9:30PM but that's OK.   I have to put the yeast into my lemon balm wine then.   But I can sleep late tomorrow if I choose.    The first place I have to be is at the Plymouth Armory at 9AM to pick up SHARE.

So.  This is a quiet easy night.  Roxie likes it a lot and so do I.

God love you all

Mary 

No comments: