Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It was a very pleasant day today. Not to warm, not too cool. The morning was really busy. Had the usual stuff to do just to get started.

I watched all of GMA this morning because I wanted to hear all the tributes to Senator Kennedy. I was not at all surprised at his death. When he was unable to attend his sister Eunice's funeral, I knew that there was not much time. They are a family like ours. He would have been there if there had been any way. God bless him and his family. It will be interesting to see how the next few days unfold and what happens to his place in the senate. Wow. He held that post for 47 years.

At 9AM, I went grocery shopping. I bought a rotisserie chicken for our lunch. They are so tender and good and it was on sale. We will be eating on that the rest of the week.

I did take a nap before lunch. I was so tired and had a busy afternoon ahead of me.

At 2PM, I drove out to Rocky Knoll for the Amputee Support Group. We had a nice turnout and two speakers. One was Gary Wright who told about a swimming class for disabled swimmers at Central starting in October, the other was Dick Ruh, from A&J Vans. He is the one that I talked to about possibly making the Explorer or some other van handicap accessible for Dick. Then it turned out that the Passat was more practical and works very well. I was pleased to meet him and be able to tell him how much I appreciated his help. I did pick up some information on hand controls for cars. This could be useful if Dick ever wants to drive again.Did you know that you have to be able to use the emergency brake with the hand controls too? That reminded me of a story about my Dad. He used cars only because he HAD to. He did not like them. He came home from work one afternoon madder than a wet hen. He had to park on a hill and set the emergency brake. The only problem was that he did not know how to release it. SO. He twisted the thing like a pretzel trying to release it and finally drove home with it on. Jeff was fuming until I started laughing. I could just see Dad trying to pull the thing loose. Fortunately, Dad never drove fast enough to do any permanent damage and he learned how to release the brake for the next time.Boy was he strong.


On the way home, stopped a the Sewing Basket and picked up the first block of a Kitty Quilt. There are 8 in the set so far and the Sewing Shop will be doing one a month. I will do mine at home and use hand applique. They are adorable. I picked one called Kitt'ney Bean. They are hard to describe. This one has a kitty on a kidney shaped rug and is adorable. The kitty has a Rosie expression. Each one has a recipe. This one is Tuscan Pasta and Bean Soup. So this will be a fun project and something I can do by hand upstairs. I will cut it out tomorrow and maybe start on the had quilting of the project I have on the quilt rack. I must be feeling better because I am getting excited about things again.

Tomorrow will be pretty quiet. We just have to take Dick to the Plymouth Clinic for his anti coagulation test.

By the way, I DID tell Dick about our upcoming trip to the Fireside. He took it OK. We just have to figure out a couple of things and it will be OK as Janice has wheelchair seating for the guys so he won't have to be walking or anything. It will be fun. I have decided that I would like to go to Chicago at the end of October for an event at the Irish Center for Irish Artists. I will be selling my book along with the other CWI members who wish to feature their CDS or books. I need to start planning that soon.

Have a good Thursday.

Mary.

No comments: