Saturday, August 08, 2009

I had SO much trouble sleeping last night. Just achy. I did take a rest this morning which helped a lot but am really hoping that tonight is better.

We had a quiet day. I rested mostly. Since we had leftover cavatini for lunch and roast beef sandwiches for dinner, cooking was easy. I did make a Cherry Dream pie to take along with me tomorrow to help with dessert. I am not leaving any of it home because we have so much dessert now, that it isn't necessary, besides, I am going to make another one for Wednesday at the Tallgrass Picnic.

I did go out once to fill the gas tank and to pick up prescriptions AGAIN. They know me so well at Walgreen's. I ran into Alan Pape, a very interesting friend of mine, who is an artist and a historian and very interested and knowledgeable of the history of our area. We had an interesting visit.

It is nice to be getting out a bit. I am sure looking forward to tomorrow at St. Michael's. There is going to be a pretty big group of my relatives there this year. Mom, Jeff and Kathy, Sara, George and Betsy, Aunt Kathleen and Uncle Bob, Uncle Pat and Aunt Joan, Aunt Kathleen's daughter Chris and her husband Ron, plus a bunch of the Shea relatives. Wow. I have to be there a bit before 10:30AM so that I can help Fr. Mike get ready for Mass along with my friend, Rosemary, who is bringing the hosts. We kind of thought of having Mass outside but the church is air conditioned and it is going to be hotter than the hinges of Hades. It is better to be a little tight in the church than out in sweltering heat. We will have enough of that AFTER mass at the picnic.

I read that Eunice Kennedy Schreiber is in critical condition from a series of strokes. She was one of the people who founded the Special Olympics. I remember when the Special Olympics were very new, they had an event in Anaheim California. They send out word to the jeep clubs in teh area that they wanted volunteers to come with jeeps to carry the celebrities that were attending the event around the arena along with the participants in the parade.

So I along with a couple of others from the Orange County Four Wheelers and some from other clubs in the area trucked on up there to help. It was really fun. I was assigned to carry a wrestler named Boom Boom Mahelik. He was quite well known in the 60s. I was lucky, one of the guys had an animal act which consisted of a man dressed in his animal trainer suit and a big cougar that kept growling and clawing. He was not happy to be in the jeep. I was glad that I had Boom Boom

Special Olympics is a lasting legacy for her and she did it for her sister Rosemary who was retarded. Rosemary was cared for at St. Coletta's Home in Jefferson WI which was run by the School Sisters of St. Francis, the same order that I spent two and a half years at as a postulant. The school still exists though as St. Coletta's of Greater Wisconsin and the sisters still have a hand in it.

Hope your Sunday is as nice as mine will be.

I have decided that Monday, I would like to go and get my Chelsea. I know it will not be easy, but I miss her and want her home. Bobbie and Bill have been SO good and love her too but I am sure they will be glad to have her come home. After all if they wanted a dog, they would have one.

Love

Mary

No comments: