Thursday, May 21, 2009

Well, I can no longer claim to be 68 years old. I am 69, one year closer to the big 70. Funny, I don't feel any different.

It was a busy day, I received cards and calls and flowers from lots of people and got to spend some time with members of the Deeley family also. That was not a happy occasion as it was at Keith Carpenter's funeral. A very touching funeral, well attended. But then SO many people knew Keith from all his years at Dale's and even into the new ownership and him being such a nice guy. After Mass, there was a military ceremony, requested because he is a Vietnam Veteran. That is always so beautiful and hurting to witness. The formal presentation of arms followed by the 21 gun salute and then TAPS on the single bugle. Shirley will have the flag to pass down in the family. And a lovely family they are.

I had spent the morning cleaning and trying to catch up on reports for various groups and other computer chores. I only have three current projects. Cleaning keeps happening. I remember that Nora and I used to go and help Aunt Helen clean her house on weekends. Not together. I think Nora started after I stopped. But Helen would tell the story, that when Nora and she would finish the cleaning, Nora would go around the house and pretend to seal the various rooms in a cover to keep them clean.

Tonight we had a special meeting, mandatory they called it. It was quite a bru-ha-ha. You have the trap shooters vs. the Sheboygan County Conservation Association. It is the same in every club. There are the workers, those who do the minimum and the slackers. Unfortunately, a member who was so valuable in the maintenance of the traps and all, got angry and walked out for the second time. He is gone now. I had pointed out that he, like others before him, had made the volunteering to time consuming a part of his life, and once one resents the volunteering it is no longer a good thing. I suggested that he come back to us as he is a wonderful asset to any organization, but then one of our members from "the other side" started rattling on and got him mad again. So we have a lot that will have to be resolved at the next meeting.

So now I am home and ready to wind down. Aren't the flowers loverly?

Love you all

From the old 69 year old woman who lives in Plymouth Wisconsin.

Mary

No comments: