Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What a day. Why is it that everything always gets scheduled for the same day?

I got up at my usual time, shortly after 6 AM. There are all the morning things to do. Then Dick had to be at the Plymouth Clinic at 9:30 to have his coagulation levels checked. That went well. We got there and as I was getting him into a wheel chair, one of the ladies who greet and direct people came out and took Dick into the clinic and up to the second floor while I parked the car.

People are really good and I am learning that when they ask if they can help, I let them help.

The visit was successful. His reading was 2.41. Which is PERFECT. It is supposed to be between 2 and 3. Last time it was 3.1 so we had to come in a bit sooner. Now we are scheduled for a month from now.

When we got home, I immediately went grocery shopping. I was home in time to fix a chef's salad for Dick's lunch before heading into Sheboygan Falls. Today was the quarterly lunch with the Class of 58. We have decided to meet for lunch every three months. Just whoever is in town and wants to be there. Today we met at the Villager. I had a black bean sandwich. It was piled on with guacamole, red onions and tomatoes and was really good. Way to much. I brought half of it home.

When I got home, Dick was sleeping, so I did a few things and then laid down for a short rest myself. I had to leave again shortly after 5 to pick up Mother. We drove to Nino's to meet Bobbie for dinner. Two of my favorite people. We all had fish of some sort. I had shrimp, Bobbie, salmon and Mother, haddock. Fully stuffed, we topped off the evening with the Sheboygan Theatre's production of Our Town. It was a wonderful performance. It is a shame that the dramas are not as well attended as the musicals and the comedies. I am glad that Ralph puts them on anyway as the arts are so important and these classics need to be preserved. We all loved it.

There was a line in the play talking about the people in the town and the arts in the town. The "Stage Manager" the lead player who narrated the entire play said something to the effect that there were two girls in town who played the piano at public gatherings. Then, as an aside, he said, " But they don't like it much."

It reminded me of Bret's graduation from 8th grade. The ceremony was very impressive up until the end when the entire class was to sing a song together about moving forward and growing and all that stuff. Well. They had worked very hard on that song, at least the teachers had. The kids did not like the song. I don't know why.

So the pianist began playing. And she played, and she played. Eventually, I and some of the other members of the audience picked up a slight murmur along with the beautiful piano playing. I leaned over to my husband and whispered. "They're singing." He did a double take and said. "They are?" And they were.

In their defense, they really hated the song. Every child in that class when they got their cue just kind of murmured or mouthed the words or didn't even bother. It was truly one of the most bazaar things I ever experienced.

After the ceremony was over, I said "Great Song", to one of the teachers. He just rolled his eyes and said they would never have a song the kids did not approve of again. He was a great teacher and actually laughing about it.

Have a great Thursday. It has to be quieter than today.

Mary

No comments: