Monday, January 12, 2009

What a day. It turned out a little differently than I had planned. My list had to be adjusted.

I filled the gas tank on my way over to see Dick this morning in anticipation of the Arctic cold that is supposed to be coming upon us tonight and lasting until at least Friday. I took Dick an orange on my way to Bible Study.

We had a nice group this morning. With streets no longer icy and people feeling better we had seven of us.



As we were starting our prayer, my cell phone rang. It was my friend, Kate. One of her kitties, Maggie, has been sick for a while, but was throwing up blood and blood was coming from the other place too. Poor baby was not eating and had even stopped drinking. Kate and Ron had decided that she had to be put to sleep. Ron had to go to work and Kate could not go along. I changed a few things around and after dropping some food off at Mother's and checking on her, I went directly over to Kate's home. She wrapped sweet Maggie in a towel and we went over to Kettle Morraine. I think Maggie knew that something was up, but I think she sensed great care. Kate said that car rides and the vet had terrified her so much that she had not been to the vet for 7 years. She was perfectly calm in Kate's arms. I held her while Kate wrote the check and hummed and soothed her and she purred in my arms. Then when the technician took her from Kate, Maggie actually hugged her and buried her head in the technician's neck. This was comforting because the technician hugged her back and Kate could see that Maggie was not afraid and that she would be treated with love. Not a great way to spend a day but Maggie is safe now.

On the way back, we stopped here so that I could let Chelsea out and Kate could meet Roxie and Oscar. After dropping Kate off (I hope she is OK. She will have to be comforting Victoria and Riley, her other cats), I went directly to the Care Center to be there when Custom Care came to take Dick to see Dr. Moreno. As the CNAs were getting him ready, he pushed down on the foot pad of the wheelchair and it snapped like a big branch. Scared the dickens out of all four of us. We had to go to the doctor without it but gave the broken one to Scott, one of the maintenance men, to see if he could find a replacement. (By golly, when we got back, Scott had found one and by the time I arrived after supper at about 5:30PM it was all fixed.)

Both Brian and Dorothy, Dr. Moreno's nurses, were there today. Dorothy got everything unwrapped and ready for Dr. Moreno. He took the main dressings off and PROCLAIMED the smaller wound all HEALED. The larger one has reduced by a LOT. He is going to be sure that we can get him home by the time we want. He can now stand on the foot, but NO piviting. SO, barring weather, I will be bringing a car for him to try to get into on Wednesday. Weather is just NOT cooperating. It is supposed to be single digits and snowing - all week.

Brian redressed the wound for the next week and we see Dr. Moreno next Monday. I left the papers with Annette at the front desk of the Center. Dick called a few minutes ago and said that they cannot find them. Good thing I know who people are. I also had her write down the next appoinment and pick up time, so I will have to check again tomorrow.

I came home when we got back to eat and take care of the critters. I went back to the Center to massage Dick's leg and do the things that I do for him then came right home because it is already starting to snow and we decided that I should be safe and sound at home.

Chelsea seems very tired today. This morning, I noticed that when she moved from one favorite spot to another to lie down, her tail was dragging on the ground. We all know that Chelsea usually "wears" her tail like a proud flag. Poor baby. She is wearing out too. Ione, one of my Bible Study Buddies, laughed when I mentioned that Chelsea is growing old too. "Aren't we all." we agreed.


Love and have a good tomorrow.

Mary

No comments: