Thursday, January 29, 2009

Well, the day started with a special treat. When Chelsea and I went for a walk at about 7AM, we heard a cardinal singing his heart out. We walked longer than we have been walking. Actually in the past month or two, our walks have been limited to just this end of Tallgrass Lane OR standing outside the garage door letting Chelsea go as far as the leash will allow because of the ice, or the cold, or the snow.

But the cardinal was a treat. The rest of the day was pretty dumb.

We went to the Sheboygan Clinic to see Dr. Moreno. Got there and realized that I had left the slide board sitting with the wheelchair in our garage. I KNOW it belongs in the car. But for some reason, wheelchair/slide board went together and here we were. I do not have to bring the wheelchair to the clinics because they have them in the entries for patients, but they do not have slide boards. We got into the wheelchair OKAY and went up to our appointment.

Not good news there. Because of the walking, there is damage to the wounds on the foot. It is not really BAD but he wants to keep any stress on the foot to a minimum for the next week or two. So for the next week all we can do is just stand on the prosthesis and foot and get weight bearing on the stump. So we were pretty discouraged.

Then ---- We get out to the car and we can't get Dick back in the car without a slide board. I went into Dr. Fehrman's office to ask if they had a board. They didn't but bless their souls, they checked around and found one AND a gate belt in Therapy and one of their people ran down to therapy to get it. She helped me, by then crying and upset, get Dick in the car. I am so eternally grateful for the goodness of people during all fo this. So we got him home. I got dinner started and then lay down for an hour. I felt a bit better when I got up. We had chicken, rice, peas and salad for dinner.

Bobbie got here shortly after noon. We loaded Dick in the car to go for his therapy session. By this time, he was totally exhausted. But, brave little soldier that he is, he accomplished all of the standing and other exercises that he was supposed to and we took him back home.

Then, as I reached in to pull the wheelchair out of the back of the wagon, I grabbed the arm instead of the wheel and the arm released and slammed me right in the lip. I have a bruise and a sore, caused by a tooth on the lip. I am so GLAD that Bobbie was there. She got her Dad into the house while I was putting ice on my poor sore lip. It doesn't look TOO bad.

After a cup of tea for Bobbie and me, she went home and I helped Dick to bed for a nap. He slept for almost two hours.

I learned three very valuable lessions. NEVER, NEVER leave the slide board at home, get into a habit of putting the wheelchair in the same way every time and ALWAYS look at what you grab to pull it out again.

Now, we have had supper. We put the prosthesis on for endurance and are just relaxing. We had chicken soup and tuna sandwiches for supper.

I will give you the following a few at a time for the next couple of days.

Love

Mary

Tips For A Happy 2009 and beyond

1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.

2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Buy a lock if you have to.

3. Buy a Tivo (DVR), tape your late night shows and get more sleep.

4. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, "My purpose is to___________ today."

5. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm, Empathy.

No comments: