Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another successful day. Dick woke up at 4ish which was not so good, but he had gone to bed early so got at least 5 hours of sleep. We hope that tonight is at least as good preferably better.

With one trip outside with Chelsea at about 3PM, I slept until almost 6AM. So it was a great night's sleep for me.

We got everything done today and there is a lot to do what with baths, and massages and taking off and on of the prosthesis. It was easier today. Partly because we are getting used to it and partly because my cold is slowly improving.

Bobbie came to accompany us to therapy at 1:00PM. That was very good. We ARE getting good about transfers. (transfers are moving from the chair to wherever, in case you didn't know. He slides on a transfer board. We have two, a 30 inch for the car and a 24 inch for the house.)

I was worried about collapsing the wheelchair to get it into the car because we had so much trouble when he was coming home. We were lucky that a man in the parking lot helped me. But this time I pulled up on the seat and it just collapsed without a problem.

Tim from National Prosthesis was there to check the fit and gait again. He and Lori are quite pleased with the process so far. We will just walk at therapy for a week or two then he will be able to start walking at home. By then we will have wheelchair transfers down pat and have to learn something new again.

It all went well. We got home and I rested a bit before supper and putting on the prosthesis again. He has to wear it off and on every day to build up endurance.

Bobbie is going to come tomorrow to go to therapy with us again. It is very comforting to have someone along and I feel safer too. We also have an appointment with Dr. Sharon in the morning, so it will be a busy day.

Mom and I were talking the other day about how Fr. Mike is trying to make his Sarnelli House compound self sufficient by having them grow enough rice and other food themselves. He has the girls in charge of weeding the rice paddies. They are not thrilled. I told him I understood. Mother still laughs at what a lousy gardener I was. Dad always had a garden for growing food for Mom to can for us to take us through the winter. We kids were always give a row to weed. Nora would whip right through her row. Not me. I would get about a foot or two and be "very sick". I always felt sick too, I remember vividly. I must really have hated. it. I didn't mind taking care of chickens or rabbits but hated gardening. Mike has the boys take care of any of the livestock. Maybe he could switch that. However, girls are more likely to become attached to the critters. I learned to accept that chickens and such were temporary pets as they were being raised for food, but not everybody can do that.

Well, Must rest now and get ready for another day. I am so proud of us getting everything done.

Love

Mary

No comments: