Friday, November 07, 2008

Another week almost finished. It was an eventful day. Chelsea and I did our thing this morning until 9AM when I drove on over to the Care Center to be with Dick.

I got there just after breakfast and just before Leah came to take him down for his PT. Lori kept him busy this morning. He did the leg lifts, a board transfer, stood up AND got his stump rewrapped. By then he was tired. We got back up to the room at about 10:30 or so, just before I had to leave for the dentist.

My appointment was at 11:00. I was there for a cleaning and wing something xrays. I mentioned that I have had cold sensitivity on my gold tooth. The dentist says that that IS a root canal but there is a big gap between the teeth and the only thing he can recommend is a recapping of the tooth with enamel and rebuilding the tooth. So I guess I will have to do that. The technician that worked on me had bad news. She has, since I saw her last, lost her mother and her daughter gave birth to a preemie who only lived for an hour an a half. I was able to share my experience with her but I feel sad tonight. Sad for her and sad for her daughter and sad for me. I told her to tell her daughter that that hour and a half will be forever with her.

I came home then and heated up the bean soup for Dick and me for lunch. He wasn't thrilled with the lunch choices today and I had planned on bringing the soup for supper, so we flip flopped. When I got back there the prosthesis guy was waiting for him in therapy. He was there to measure and fit Dick for Stump Shrinker stockings for his stump. This will be SO much easier. Of Course this happened just one day after Lori taught four of the nurses on the floor how to properly wrap the stump with an ace bandage. Well - they will know now when the next amputee comes onto the floor. And this WILL happen.

I went shopping this afternoon. I had to drop some pills and money off at Mother's so I made a big circle. I went to Woodlake to buy Chorizo for the chili I intend to make in a week, to Office Max to buy ink cartridges AND to Shopco and Dunhams looking for shorts for Dick.

On the way home I stopped and picked up my dinner to eat with Dick and give meds to Chelsea. Then I went back to the center. Bobbie was there visiting. Good for her Dad. He needs others besides just me. When I went home to feed Chelsea, I had a lovely surprise. The cleaning elves had come while I was gone and my house was sparkling.

Tonight, when one of the CNA's was helping Dick, she commented on how much thinner his legs and arms are. She said that he was not longer the "big fat guy". She is a real kick. Such a light in the long days that he has to spend there. She also said he would make a good Santa Claus. She doesn't know that he IS MY Santa Claus. So many of the nurses and CNAs are so kind and really are obviously becoming fond of him. He is his charming self.

I miss him being here. I hope that he heals quickly and that we can have him home soon.


Jeff Foxworthy said"

" If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they
don't work there, you might live in Wisconsin ."

Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.

Love

Mary

No comments: