Thursday, August 28, 2008

A LONG day. I actually got to sleep until 5:15 this morning but it was still way to early. I was so sound asleep when Dick woke me. We left for the hospital at 6:45AM. Kate came with us. She says that someone told her once that she was a lucky charm and perhaps she is.

The surgery went well according to the doctor, the anesthesiologist and the nurses. Because of the numbness in his legs, they numbed his foot by doing shots in the five major nerves and then sedating him, but not putting him totally under which helped him not get nauseous. They sent us home at about noon. The foot is all wrapped up mummy fashion, so we have not seen what it looks like. Dr. Fehrman said that he is pretty sure that he has accomplished what he wanted to, he was able to incorporate enough skin and flesh to form a surgical scar, the hole is gone and now hopefully it will heal. I hope so. The nurses and all the staff were SO solicitous. We were treated with concern and kindness. We are lucky to have such a caring institution in Sheboygan.

I am actually now concerned about the other wound. It is still shallow but that blister that formed needs to be trimmed and Dr. Moreno is out of town. I keep cleaning it and putting on the medicine but really want it looked at.

Jim and Michelle had cleaned house while we were gone this morning and came over to check on Dick when we got home. I fixed some grilled cheese for us to snack on. Then everybody left and Dick laid down for a bit. His foot started bleeding through the bandage and I called the nurse. They said to keep wrapping it. So I did and that seems to have stopped it. Everything is supposed to stay on until Tuesday when we go to see Dr. Fehrman again. I am glad that the VNA nurse is coming tomorrow, as I will feel better if there is a professional to ask questions of. I am also running low on some supplies and they bring them.

I fixed lasagna for dinner. Tonight, Bart and Richard both called and Bobbie and Nora and Jeff and Kathy emailed. It is so nice to hear from people and to feel the prayers and love that are supporting us. This still a scary time but we feel better today than yesterday. I am exhausted and intend to take a hot bath to soak some of the aches out of my bones and then go to bed. I will miss some of the speeches but am just too tired to care.

We watched most of the Packer Game, though I fell asleep during part of that too. Not too impressive but they were playing second and third string most of the time and there were a couple of really exciting plays.

Take care. Tomorrow will be a day for quiet and healing.

Love

Mary

No comments: