Saturday, June 14, 2008

Well, as it turned out I had to leave the neighborhood once after all. I started giving Chelsea her pills this morning and discovered that she only had enough of one of them for TODAY. That would not work well as the vet is closed on Sundays so I called right away and was able to pick them up in an hour. I also got notice that it was time to give her the heartworm pill. Guess what, we were out of them too so I picked up both.

It was really a lovely day today. It did get a bit warm, 83 or something, but there was a breeze and it has now dropped to the low 60s.

Had a nice day, I cleaned the kitchen floor and straighten out my desk and baked cranberry scones.

Jim and Michelle came over at about two oclock to make the very nicest offer. They want to come here one evening a week, probably Fridays when Michelle gets off earlier, and stay with Dick and clean for us. Their only condition is that they want me to leave for some alone time or time with friends. I admit that I cried. What a way to help both Dick and me at this time. He will have company, other than me, I will have help with the work here and get a chance to be on my own a bit. A break. This is a very special gift.

Then at four or thereabouts Dick and Brenda and Bobbie and Bill arrived. Bobbie had all the fixin's for dinner including pasta with a choice of Italian Sausage OR shrimp sauce, salad and fresh asparagus. This was preceded by antipasto. Then it was capped off by Sachertort. We enjoyed the meal and the company so much. This is to honor Dick for Fathers Day.

Now it is after 10 and I am winding down. I do want to tell you what happened to my Mother yesterday.

The night before she lost power for a while in that storm. When she got up Friday morning she noticed that the Carbon Monoxide detector was doing something. She tried her stove and found that one of the burners would not light. So she tried to light it with a match. (Naughty Naughty) Fortunately NOTHING happened so she called the Gas Company. They told her to call the Fire Department, who came right over. They about had a canary when she told them about trying to light the burner. The firemen told her to NEVER do that again with any possibility of a gas leak but they checked everything, made sure all the pilots were lit and there was no buildup of anything bad. They told her to call a repairman for the stove.

WELL, when noon rolled around, so did my brother Randy. He asked her what was going on and Mother asked him how he found out.

Here is a small town event if there ever was one. The Fire Department reported their call to the Police Department. Somebody from the Police Department was over at the middle school during the morning and told Donna, my sister in law, that the Fire Department had been over at Mother's. So Donna called Randy who came over on his lunch hour.

Anyway, Randy told Mother that she should not even think of getting that stove fixed. It is way to old. They had it at the old house and have been here for 18 years. So after work yesterday, he went to Bitter Neumann and found her a new glass top electric. She is glad to go to electric because of the safety factor and will have her new stove on Monday. The nice thing about Bitter Neumann is that they will haul the old one off too.

So she was tired even before we went to that wedding, but she had a good time anyway.

Today was nice. I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Love
Mary

No comments: