Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Good Sunday. The Packers Won!!! And Favre beat the record he has been creeping up on- most touchdown passes in a career.

I got up at 6 to walk Chelsea so I could get to the 8AM Mass on time. Fr. Van Beeck spoke today about St. John's collaboration with St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Elkhart Lake. Their collaboration will take place next May 31. A year behind the Kohler/Sheboygan Falls one. I guess the diocese is not up to too much going on in one area at one time. I found out today that Bishops are also becoming scarcer. Archbishop Dolan will now be the administrator of the Green Bay diocese as well as the archbishop of the Milwaukee diocese. I wonder why they did not just send Bishop Sklba. Oh well, what do I know. Perhaps he is earmarked for something else.

Bobbie and I were assigned to work at Rhine today. It was totally dead because of the Packer game so the guys told us to go home at about 1:30. That was nice. I finished the quilt for little Sean. I will take it to show Mother tomorrow and then figure out how to get it to him. It is very cheerful and soft.

Bobbie and I were talking tonight about recipes. I remembered a meal that my cousin Patty had cooked for us when she and her girls stayed with me when I lived in California. It was something that she learned from my Grandma Deeley. Patty and her brother Doug were raised at Grandma and Grandpa Deeley's by that whole crew from the time that Patty was about 2 or three when her mother died. That is a whole other story.

Patty wanted to cook this meal so we got a nice pork roast, which is the base of the meal and some white bread which we dried out a bit. She took the bread and soaked it in milk. Then she squeezed the milk out of the bread and put the bread in a bowl with eggs and pepper and added a bit of flour, kind of to feel, so that it would form nicely. Then she make dumplings of the mixture and plastered them all over the salted and peppered roast. The whole thing went into the oven in a roasting pan until the roast is done. Cook according to pork road directions. You have to throw out the milk which is really salty and icky. She called it pork with bread dumplings. The dumplings are great with gravy on them and then if there are leftovers you can slice them and fry them in butter the next day and they taste wonderful.

I must try again. Patty is gone now too and I never got the exact ingredient proportions so it is a bit of a guess.

Tomorrow is October already. Enjoy your week.

Mary

No comments: