Saturday, April 28, 2007

It was warm today. I was glad that we had replaced the front storm with a screen. We left doors open much of the day.

I went shopping at about 9AM and got potting soil and the planters for the deck. Then I finished cleaning the rest of the garage and filled the planters. I did plant some seeds but hate to do too much. You know the old adage that one should not plant before Memorial Day because there is always a chance of frost. I usually manage to last until at least the middle of May. Being that this weekend is half over with and next will be busy with Dick's birthday, I think I will make it this year too.

We are finally getting to work on wine. We have racked all of the small batches that I made from scratch and are ready to bottle the Gewertiziminer any day now. Then we need to rack the Riesling and mix the White Zin.

I made a rhubarb pie today with the last of my frozen rhubarb. As the rhubarb in the back yard is really taking off, I figured I had better clean out the old stuff. I made a rhubarb sour cream pie and it is GOOOOD! When I was little, we used to pick stalks of rhubarb and dip them in a cup of sugar and eat it raw. Fruits and veggies are all so good fresh out of the garden.

We also had leftover stroganoff and veggies so did not have to work too hard on supper.

Anyway lots of busy physical work and I know that I will sleep well tonight. I called Mom this afternoon. John and Eileen had come out at about lunch time. They brought lunch and then Eileen stripped Mom's bed, put on a new mattress pad and her summer sheets and blankets. She will feel all fresh and comfy when she crawls in bed tonight.

Have a good Sunday.

Since I went to church in Galena last weekend, it will be good to hear Fr. Van Beeck again. The new gold cross that was donated by some members was put up on the steeple last week, this will be the first week I get a good view of it driving up the hill. I am really glad that I went the Sunday it arrived and that I have the printed napkin commemorating the event.

Love

Mary

No comments: