Sunday, April 22, 2007

Well, I am home after an absolutely wonderful, relaxing (probably not the best word as I did get to do and see a LOT) weekend.

First, on Friday, I had the second half of my stress test. What a mess. We started it at 11:00AM. Unfortunately, some part of my bowel was covering part of the heart and we had to retest. I was, needless to say, REALLY disappointed. I called Kate, my traveling companion and she very calmly said not to worry, to just come as soon as I was done and we would get on our way. The worst part was that in order to retest, I had to drink four glasses of water. How is that for someone who is going to spend four hours on the road to Galena?

Kate and I did get on the road by 1PM. The trip was easy, though rather long. We were surprised that it was not greener further south and that there were not more flowers in bloom.

We got to the Irish Cottage Inn at about 4:30, checked in and joined the others for a wine and cheese reception. I reacquainted with old friends and met, in person, those that I had only met by voice on the telephone conferences. Kate got to meet everybody and as I knew, fit in just fine. Maureen had two chores for us.

First: we got a piece of paper entitled "Worry List" We wrote ALL of our biggest worries on this list and then put them in a box which she closed and put aside. We were told that we could pick them up when we were ready to go home. (I forgot mine.)

Second: she gave us a list of statements such as "Who lives in Chicago." "Who quilts for does crafts" "Who plays an musical instrument?" We went to each other and filled in a name for each question. A good way to find out a bit about each other.

Then we went the pub/restaurant on the premises for dinner. They do have Irish food. I had bangers and mash and really enjoyed it. At nine PM, I was so tired and the wine got me kind of spun, so I opted to got to the room and go to sleep. The next day was scheduled to be very busy and I wanted to enjoy it to the fullest.

I will tell you more about the trip tomorrow when I am more rested. We had a safe and pleasant trip home and I pray that the others did too. We were a bit worried about Jean Whelan who does seem frail, came alone and had to drive back to Wynona Minnesota. I am glad to be involved with these women. It looks like I have a good core group for a local chapter of CWI with Kate, Beth Dippel, Lu Ann from the History Museum and a Joan, recommended by one of the other CWI women. Hopefully after a couple of programs we can get a nice thing going.

I called Mother when I got home. She sounded really tired. Her friend Helen Murphy, took her to another friend, Bea Visser's birthday party. She was glad she went but it really took a lot out of her. She has decided to not do anything else outside her home, until after she sees De. Hancock on Friday.

Called Barbara tonight too. She sounds really strong. She couldn't really talk because Adam is visiting and needed the phone, so I told her I would call tomorrow night as I am really tired.

Here is a short spring poem.

Spring

Innocence is the color green.
Robins perch on spiny tree branches
Waiting for fresh life to burst forth
And worms to emerge upon the path
New life!

Til tomorrow

Mary

No comments: