Monday, February 12, 2007

I am so embarrassed. I forgot to go and pick up Market Day today.

We went to Valley View at 6:00 for the first antibiotics. Then I went to Falls for Bible Study. There were 7 of us this morning a good group. We had a lively discussion about loving your enemies and how hard it is to pass up a chance to "get even". Joe pointed out that Jesus tells us that if someone takes out coat, we should give our tunic too. He said that perhaps this means that when our kids come to "borrow" our tools we should just give them to them. Or maybe if we have TWO crescent wrenches, we should give them the GOOD one. What do you think?

I stopped at Mother's to visit and bring her a piece of quiche and a couple of Kahlua Brownies. We had a nice visit. We never run out of things to say. We started talking about the Westminster Dog Show which I am watching RIGHT now. This made us think of dogs both wonderful and awful from our lives. She thought of their Lucky. They got Lucky from a friend who had a female spaniel who got "knocked up" by unknown "lover". When they got him home, Dad said that he was going to be big. Boy was he right. Lucky grew to look like and be as big as a Saint Bernard. He was a sweet dog. The boys watched television at night using him for a big pillow. They also made a sign for his dog house that said "Friend of the Little People" and painted L U C K Y in big letters on top of his dog house so airplanes could see it.

We also got to talking about Auntie Brandl's Salve. This was a salve that was supposed to heal sores. Mother and I both have the recipe but even if we could get all the ingredients, we don't thing we'd make it because at least one of them is poison.

Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Wonder Salve or Auntie Brandl's Salve

8 oz sweet oil
4 oz red lead
3 drams olebaum
2 drams burnt alum
2 drams camphor

Heat oil to boiling point. Add all ingredients except camphor.

Boil until lead turns brown.

Take from fire and immediately add camphor. Beat until cool

My brother George said that red lead is a real poison. We don't know what the heck olebaum is, maybe it is olebalm, but what is that? What was considered sweet oil, and burnt alum is another mystery. and camphor, can you buy that? Anyway, Mom has a small sample. I told her that she should give it to George and ask him if he could get it analysed. Dad and Aunt Helen got the recipe from Grandma Deeley and swore that it healed sores wonderfully.

Then I went looking for a present for Hazel. We wanted a wind chime. I went down to the riverfront and had no luck but one of the clerks told me to check Hobby Lobby. Then I got a wonderful tuna sandwich at the Weather Center, zipped on over to Trillings to buy a small heater for the garage. (In this awful cold, water, potatoes, coke and onions froze. I checked and you cannot freeze potatoes raw so I will throw them out in the morning. Trash day you know.) I have yet to check on the onions but imagine that they will go too.

Writers club was next. We had several new attendees because they had come to our 50th Soiree at Mead. Some will continue.

Then Home. This is where things fell apart. I had to take Dick to the hospital at 4 for his last intravenous and fully intended to go and pick up Market Day while he was there. I got him settled and then they came in for blood test and I FORGOT. I hope they will forgive me and that they have some place to keep stuff overnight. Actually at this time, they probably could just put it outside.

Now I am watching the Westminster Dog Show and winding down.

Hope tomorrow is a bit quieter. I am going to have lunch with Steve and Bob, two artist friends.

Love

Mary

No comments: