Saturday, April 22, 2006

The long sad day is over. We all gathered at St. Mary's Cemetary at 12:00Noon. A big crew with all the aunts and uncles and as many of the neices and nephews who could get here. It rained a bit on the way to the cemetary, but stopped before we all got out of our cars, so though it was a bit cool it was not an unpleasant time to be spending gathered around the grave.

We were there perhaps an hour. Shawn's father in law was a gentle and knowledgeable shepherd for the service. He kept us on track and pointed out the goodness of God which will follow the Good Friday that we have felt this past week and the Holy Saturday that we experienced today. He reminded us of the legacy of Courtney's goodness to the misfortunate of this world, she was like a magnet and always kind to them. I read my little story and told some of my memories of Courtney and then finished with the Elizabeth Barrett Browning poem that George requested be read. I finished but made sure that Dick was right there, because I knew that when I was done, I would need to be held. I had practiced the poem a couple of times at home because it needed to be read correctly to convey his message. Then George placed Courtney in Grandpa's arms and added a few things that were important to her. Two collars from her favorite cats, a windcatcher that Betsy made her using a couple feathers from the famous chicken that she spent $700 to try to save and her Aggie ring from college that she was VERY proud of. I put in a birthday card. Those who wanted took a yellow rose from the plastic tub that was waiting there and placed them next to the grave. We all went directly to Randy's to celebrate Courtney with pizza and beer.

It is NOW almost 11:00 I got home about a half an hour ago. It is hard to say goodby to each other.

I had the most wonderful surprise, Jim stopped by to comfort me and to express his sympathies to George and Betsy on his way to see Michelle. That meant the world to me and SO much to them.

I went to church tonight as it seemed like a good idea. The choir was singing and for an hour noone really missed me as there were conversation groups all over the house. I was glad I went. We sang You Raise Me Up and another song from the Unity Festival with Jim Wilsing playing the penny whistle for Joan and Don Otto on their 50th anniversary. Joan was in tears (of joy). So I am super glad that I did go over.


Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glint on snow
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there - I did not die.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain
When you awake in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there - I did not die.

Traditional

The above was on the prayer cards at my Dad's funeral. Courtney LOVED it and had several copies around her condominium. Randy read it for her today.

Tomorrow we will be fresh. Thank you all for your concern and prayers and love.

Mary

No comments: