Sunday, November 06, 2005

Were you all fans of Everybody Loves Raymond? If you watched it at all, you know that Debra, Raymond's wife, is a terrible cook. Marie, Raymond's mother, is an excellent cook and very proud of herself. She is one who loves to feed also.

Anyway, a few years into the series, Debra found a recipe that she called Bracioli. It is a Beef Roll cooked in a tomato sauce.

I found it on the net and tried it tonight using venison steaks. It was marvelous so I will keep the recipe and share it (with my modifications) with you.

1 lb Venison steaks (should be 4)
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 thin slices prosciutto
2 oz provolone cheese divided into 4 pieces
2 Tablespoons currants
1 large clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped. (I used part red because I had some sliced
in the fridge.
1 cup dry red wine
4 large rip tomatoes, seeded and chopped

Place the meat slices between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until they are 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay a slice of prosciutto and a peice of cheese on each one. Sprinkle with the currants and garlic.
Roll up the slices, tucking in the ends. Tie with kitchen string.

In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Brown the venison rolls on all sides. Should take about 15 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 more minutes. Add the wine and cook til hot, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and comve and simmer until the meat is tender. Should be about 2 hours. If the sauce becomes dry, add a little water. Makes 4 servings.


I got to stay home most of the day. Jim and I did go out to Rhine to shoot. I was not spectacular at all. The pistol was kind of low, but I did get better each time. I only got a 14 in trap, but it was windy and I lost a couple of birds that way. Also, one of the guys was letting his young son shoot for the first time and he couldn't get the shell chambered which threw the timing off. I realize now how important it is to maintain a rhythm. It is amazing how much of the accuracy is dependant on concentration.

I got a LOT of paperwork done this weekend. Good thing because a week from tomorrow, we leave for Branson and I need to have several projects operating on their own. Mainly a Senior Saint function. I am working on getting a speaker to explain Medicare D to the members of the parish that do not go to the Senior center or know where to find out the information. I thought I would do it along with a short prayer service and a little Christmas refreshment in late November or early December.

I also am preparing a mailing to the official members of our Environment committee so they come to help at the end of November to prepare for Advent. That is one of the Biggies along with Christmas and Easter.

Have a GOOD week.

A wonderful quote from Timothy Joyce. "Of curse, there can always be a case of too much spirits in a pub, but you can also have too much religion in a church."

A point to ponder.

Mary

No comments: