Saturday, November 05, 2005

Rain tonight. Even thunder and lightning. Poor little Chelsea. She is behaving differently during thunder storms than she used to. Instead of sticking her head under our bed when there is thunder, she stays near us but turns her back on us. We are wondering if she thinks we provide some kind of protection or if she thinks that we are bigger and that the evil stuff will get us first.

It was dry most of the day. Chelsea and I had a lovely walk this morning and I was able to clean out the pots on the deck and bring in the garden decorations. I didn't tell you this, but last night when Bobbie and I came back from Rhine there standing in the middle of the driveway were my garden gnome and my metal bee. Later I saw a gang of kids running around, so they must have been pulling a few pranks. As long as they don't break and destroy, I don't care. Actually it was rather funny.

The choir sang at the 5:00AM mass tonight. I picked up some fresh eggs from the farm at Range Line and Hwy O. I have been seeing their Eggs For Sale sign for a couple of years and finally stopped last week. I do like fresh eggs and I know that the chickens are healthier and that they eat better than the chickens that lay the eggs for the supermarkets. These eggs are all shades of brown and she said that they even have a few Aracondas, but I imagine that they keep the green eggs for themselves. I really liked having chickens when I lived in Huntington Beach. Kind of wish I could have them again. Once you get their housing set, they really aren't much trouble. Their clucking is quite comforting too.

Had bean soup made with the hunk of sugar cured ham that I brought back from Kentuky. BOY is that good soup. I fixed Marie Calendar muffins to go with the beans. Num Num.

There is a new Harry Potter movie coming out in two weeks or less. As soon as the crowds thin, Dick and I will HAVE to go.

Saddam Hussein was sitting in his office wondering whom to
invade next when his telephone rang.

"Hallo, Mr. Hussein!", a heavily accented voice said. "This is
Paddy down at the Harp Pub in County Sligo, Ireland. I am ringing to
inform you that we are officially declaring war on you!"

"Well, Paddy," Saddam replied, "This is indeed important
news! How big is your army?"

"Right now," said Paddy, after a moment's calculation,
"there is myself, my cousin Sean, my next door neighbor Seamus, and the
entire dart team from the pub. That makes eight!"

Saddam paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have one
million men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begorra!", said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back!"

Sure enough, the next day, Paddy called again. "Mr.
Hussein,t he war is still on! We have managed to acquire some infantry
equipment!"

"And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Saddam asked.

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm
tractor." Paddy replied.

Saddam sighed. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 16,000
tanks and 14,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I've increased my
army to 1-1/2 million since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" said Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you."

Sure enough, Paddy rang again the next day. "Mr. Hussein,
the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We've
modified Harrigan's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the
cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Pub have joined us as
well!"

Saddam was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat.
"I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 10,000 bombers and 20,000 fighter
planes. My military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air
missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to TWO
MILLION!"

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!", said Paddy, "I'll have to ring
you back."

Sure enough, Paddy called again the next day. "Top o' the
mornin', Mr. Hussein! I am sorry to tell you that we have had to
call off the war."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Saddam. "Why the sudden
change of heart?"

"Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a bunch
of pints, and decided there's no way we can feed two million prisoners."

God Bless the Irish!


The story in italics is an old email that I received and thought you might enjoy.

Mary

No comments: