Saturday, June 01, 2013

I just noticed that I had missed posting on May 29th and 30th.   Wow.   I must have been more tired than I thought.   Oh Well.   Here we are.

I went to the Milwaukee Highland Games today.    I left a little after 10AM so that I could get up there in plenty of time for lunch but late enough that the trials for the various contests were over.   The Games are that - Games.    They had Drum and Bagpipe Band competitions.  Stone throws, both men and women and the women champions could move up to the men's if they wished.  Also Hammer throws and the ever famous Caber Toss.   I simply find it unbelievable that these people can lift a telephone pole and toss it, mush less flip it.

I was able to see a The Tribe of the Blue Rose reenactment.   They do fights using old weapons, swords, spears, clubs and shields in full armor.   I knew about them from my friend, Mike Trefz, who was the man who delivered and fixed Dick's motorized wheelchair.   Mike walked in the house the first time and saw a Celtic Knot project on my table and commented on it.  The rest is history.    Today, I got to meet his wife, Amy, and see his adorable 6 week old son Preston.    I think it would be good to get the Tribe to one of our Celtic Women Gatherings.  

I visited the clan tables and picked up a super CD of  Contemporary Christia and Scottish Fiddle music from a group of people from Marshfield.   I listened to it on the way home and simply love it.

I also found Nancy's Sweet Nothings.   I got some of her baked goods at the Labor Day Highland Games a couple years ago.  So we had a good visit.  

I knew nobody but Mike but I talked to SO many people and everybody was so very friendly.   I even have some leads and information from a travel company that does custom tours of Scotland.    The gave me folders and a map.    I am delighted as I need STUFF to peruse as I take this journey.

I go home at about 5:30PM, a half hour late for Roxie's dinner.   Boy did I hear about that.

I forgot to tell you that they had a children's area.   I went over there because I saw all these little girls with pretty flower headpieces.   I got to the table and the sign said 13 and under.   So I begged.    And I have the prettiest headpiece you can imagine.   The lady running it told me that if anyone asked, I was to say I stole it from a little girl.   I also got blue beads from the Clan area.   I am getting quite a collection of them.

So.   A full and fun day.   Hope your weekend is going as well.

Jim and Michele are without power, so pray for them.  At least they were not hurt.

Dia Dhuit

Mary

"Philosophy is the knowledge of that which exists, and a clear understanding of the truth; and happiness is the reward of such knowledge and understanding" (Justin, Dialogue with Trypho, 3).



No comments: