Thursday, November 15, 2012

What a wonderful day this was.   I am still a bit congested but feel a bit better.   I got up at 6AM to feed Miss Roxie and get myself ready for the day.

Today I went to the Sheboygan County Caregiver Conference that the Alzheimer's Association sponsored at Acuity.    It was really wonderful.   

Kay from Embrace Care got here at 8:30AM to that I could get there by 9AM for the checkin and opening ceremonies. We had two keynote speakers.  Rev. Tom Fleishman who is the county chaplain for the health care centers here in the county.   He was marvelous. Giving examples of people that he had dealt with and learned to meet them where they are not where we expect them to be.

Next was a breakout workshop on dealing with stress. It was called How do I go On and presented by Todd Heinen.   A lot of things I had learned before but a good reminder and he also gave us a cd of a meditation that we all experienced together at the end of his talk.  A good way to be able to practice meditation.

Lunch followed and it was super.   We had chicken, rice, veggies, Caesar salad and cake.   I did not have to spend a cent all day.   The cost of the event was $5.

After lunch I went to a talk on Food and Fitness for the Brain by Laura Dolfin.   I took a lot of notes and will have to sort out the information.

Then our final speaker, a women named.Lynda Markut, who spoke with a title "It Wasn't Supposed to be This Way."   The end of the quote from a man who was in a nursing home with his wife was "We were supposed to have time in the sun together."  She gave us a lot of quote's from her mother from the time after her mother was diagnosed with Dementia.   A good example.   "Tell it liked it is; but remember the truth is easier in small pieces."

She also had a wonderful quote fromSylvia Boorstein.   "I'm not OK.   You're not OK, and that's OK."

So on that I will rest for the night.

I hope your day was also good.

Dia Dhuit

Mary

No comments: