Sunday, October 28, 2012

What a strange but beautiful day.   For me anyway.   Dick actually has had a very difficult afternoon.   His right leg and food started hurting just after lunch and it really never did let up.  I just wish there was something we could do for him.   Heather, the caregiver who came tonight, felt so bad too.

He woke up at 4:30AM and wanted to sit up, so we got him up and I went back to bed.   He even fed the cat for me so I got to sleep until 8AM.   When I got up, we had breakfast and a nice morning until he got sleepy at about 10AM.    He went down for a nap then.

I worked on making the colcannon for the Samhain dinner and gathering up all the other things that I had to bring along.   The sign up book, the wine,  utensils and plates and glasses, tea and the place mat for the ancestors.

Here I was worried that we wouldn't have many people there.   As it turned out there were exactly 13 of us.   A perfect number, we all decided, for a Samhain dinner.   Peg led us in a lovely prayer for the "House and all in it" before we ate.    A great social for all of us.    The food was super.   I made colcannon.   We also had Reuben sliders, a stogenoff, a chicken rice casserole, a sweet potato casserole, soda bread and desserts.    All SO good.   We were pleasantly sated and finished the evening by discussing strange events and superstitions that have come down from our families, or that we have taken on during our lives.

Got home at about 7PM.   Just about when I had expected.    So I am able to get Dick to bed myself which I hope will make him more comfortable.   I have a feeling it will be a broken sleep but I will go to bed early myself so hopefully I can get at least the hours if not the straight through.

As I said a beautiful day.   The dinner was just what we all needed.

Dia Dhuit

Mary

No comments: