Sunday, January 22, 2012

So.   Here it is.   Getting towards late on a Sunday evening.   It has been a quiet day.   I went to Mass this morning as I was not up to spending another hour away from home, AND Bobbie needed to get home to her Bill.

The Family Irish Day was wonderful.   I suppose you expected that ,as I usually find that the things I enter into are wonderful. 

The Celtic Women hosted a High Tea which was very successful.   We served over 200 people and it was a super Irish event.   We were located to the right of some of the best Irish music available in this area,  Mary Calvey and Jim Wilsing.      I was able to share the Icon that Jim Fleming did for me of Bridget of Ireland.   Jim Wilsing was awed.  When I told him that I was buying it and did not know how much it would be, he said "It does not matter." and he is right.  I gave it back to Jim to have him put the final coat on it and sign the work.   But it is MINE.  As I told Jim Fleming.   I want an original of an artist that I admire.    I do have two from a friend who has probably for gotten that I exist.  And I have an original painting from my Uncle George Bowser.    When I was visiting from California one year, I told Uncle George that I sure would love one of his paintings.   Before we headed back, he sent one of his paintings, an autumn scene because he said that since I did not have that season in California, I should have something to remember it with.   I treasure this painting SO much.

But I digress.   The Irish day was super.   Mary Calvey and Jim Wilsing performed just to the right of us.   In back of us was a table where people were learning how to make Brigid Crosses.    They used Raffia and ribbon to teach people.   In Ireland we used the reeds and rushes but sure as shooting someone would have said they developed an allergic reaction if we tried that here.

In the ARTery, Children were making potato stamps and learning how to write their names in Ogham, an old Gaelic Alphabet.     I love it .   It was fun to be able to convey this information to the Art Center and to give them a picture of a stone carved in Ohgam.  

I was able to try my wings as a storyteller.    Only time will tell if it was worth the effort.  I know that it was worth it for me.    The first session, had two little girls in attendance.  First they asked if they could sit on the chairs next to me and then one of the girls crawled up on my lap for the end of the session.   I figured if she was comfortable and happy with my "gig".   I was happy too.

The second session was fun.  Several close friends were there.  Then when I was really done, a woman came and asked if I would mind doing a bit more for four young people who were disabled.   I said sure and told  about Fairies, how to idientify a Fairy Field and the story  of Liam Clancy trapped in the Fairy Field.    When we were done, I had four "coins" with shamrocks, clovers etc.that I was able to give to each of them (After I asked if it was OK Of Course.)  I was rewarded with a lovely hug and thanks from one of the four little people so I felt that the whole day was worth it.


What a day, wouldn't you agree.   I am glad that today was quiet.  I was able to get MOST of little Marcus's quilt done today.   I like it.  I hope he does.   (It will be nice if his Mom and Dad do too, but it is most important what he thinks.)  I mainly want it cuddly.

So tomorrow starts another day.   Monday is reasonably busy but Tuesday and Wednesday are even more so, because Dick has to leave the house.

Take care of you and be happy

Dia Dhuit

Mary

No comments: