Saturday, January 07, 2012

It was quite pleasant outside again today.   No precipitation or wind and the temperatures stayed in the low 40s.

I stayed in bed until a bit after 7AM after feeding the cat and helping Dick get up between 6 and 6:30AM.   So I was quite rested for most of the day.    It is not almost 8PM and I am winding down nicely, but don't feel too exhausted.

Of course, we had no visitors today at all.   No VNA on weekends.

Dick did his walking and his standing exercises once each today so that was a good beginning.   He looked good doing them too.   And I did not have to help him at all.

I spent a bit of today, getting my Ireland pictures from this year and from the time Bart, Barb and I went all labeled.   Now I can make up a disc to take to JMKAC for use with a projector.   I also have picked several of my CDs for music when live music is not playing.    I have several nice traditional and Irish American traditional CDS that should work well.

I also started putting Christmas away.   That is a major job, not as formidable as some years, as I didn't put everything out this year.  Tomorrow I will do a bit more and will get to work on a couple of quilting projects that I have to have finished by the end of January or early February.  I also have a couple that I would just LIKE to work on.

I went to Mass at 4PM.   The Folk Choir was singing tonight.   This is the last of the Christmas celebrations,  The Epiphany- the Coming of the Magi.   Fr. Van Beek had a sweet story about this feast.   He said that when he was a kid and would hear the story and when Herod would tell the Three Kings to report back to him as to where the Baby King was, he wanted to jump up on the pew and yell.   "No. No.  Don't tell him.   He is a bad man."    How fun it is for a child to become so involved in a tale, especially one of such importance.   This is after all the feast when Jesus was made known to us Gentiles.  Before this it was just to the Jewish people

We had a steak for lunch with garlic bread, beets and a fruit salad.    Then we had Chicken Waldorf salad and a piece of gingerbread pudding pie for supper.

Tomorrow will be another quiet day.   These days are nice for us to get back into the routine.    I hope Dick keeps increasing his walking practices.  Each time he does so will make him stronger.   He has said that he would like to go away, perhaps up north or somewhere for a couple of days in May.   He has that as a goal.    I just pray that he will be able to continue becoming more independant.

So rest easy in your bed tonight and wake up refreshed and ready to be fully a part of you day.   May it be a beautiful, loving day and all you dream.

Dia Dhuit

Mary

These were really good.   I had some oranges that were starting to get kind of old.   I even forgot to brush them with the egg and they were still good.


Orange Scones
Yields 12 2-inch round scones
Orange Scones
Adapted from Inside a Black Apple

1 3/4 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup white sugar
Zest of 1 orange
Pinch of salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest, and salt. Add the butter using a pastry tool (or your hands) and mix until the mixture is crumbly with pea-sized chunks. Stir in the orange juice and sour cream until just blended. Do not overmix or it will result in tough scones.
Roll scones into a ball and flatten slightly on a cookie sheet to resemble 2 inch rounds. Whisk together the egg and milk and brush over the top of the scones. Let scones rest for 10 minutes before baking.
Bake for 12 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. Cool until room temperature before glazing.
Orange Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth. If too thick, add more orange juice until it is smooth. Drizzle lightly over scones.

No comments: