Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another HOT day.   This spell is not supposed to break for several days yet.   Thank God for Air conditioning.   I remember, years ago, we had no relief.   When Dick and I and Jim were living at Creekside, we had a year like this and I remember one day that Dick said.  "I don't care if this heat lifts tomorrow, we are getting air."   And we did.  I think it saved Jim.  He was trying to sleep during the day at that time as he was a 2nd shifter.  He was sleeping on the deck and in the basement to survive.

Aunt Helen called the next year after we had our conditioning.  She said that she was totally miserable and could we come to get her.   I called Dick and he drove out to Falls, picked her up and installed her on the couch in the living room.    She said later that we saved her life.  And well we might have.  

She was not a cat lover, but she napped in relief from the air conditioning and she told me that she felt something there.  She opened her eyes and her was our Taco just looking at her.  They observed each other for a bit and both felt quite comfortable, so Helen went back to sleep and Taco went back to wherever he was.

She kind of liked my cats because I told her stories about them and they became "people" to her.

Today, I just hung around home this morning and then went to Rocky Knoll at noon to have lunch with Dick and spend the afternoon with him.    I brought my lunch and some treats for the guys.   Rich was out for lunch with friends but Dick, Bob and I enjoyed them.

Then I watched Dick's Occupational Therapy and then we played Yahtsee and Rummy to pass the time until Dinner. 

I am home now,  Had a pasty for supper and am beginning to settle down for the night.

A good night's sleep will prepare me for the rest of the week.

Love.

Mary]
]

Here is a poem that I have in one of my books that addresses heat like this.   The tells of heat 60 to 70 years ago so it is not a new thing.

SUMMER EVENING MUSIC

I dream of summers long ago
When I was a child.
On the dead end street
All of us, from toddler to teen,
Gathered in the twilight
While the sounds of Hildy
Playing her squeeze Box
Mingled with the sounds of us '
Shouting.

Hildy's Mom was in heaven.
Her Dad often stumbled home late at night
And her sister took care of them.
Hildy couldn't run and play with us.
Her neck couldn't hold her head straight.
She walked strangely.
But she played the music
That filled the air in the
Twilight.

We played kick the can, or tag
Or hide and seek on the gravel road,
Our feet calloused from running barefoot
Since school let out.
I still feel the humid musky dampness
Of the dark.
We played until too tired to care
That it was really too hot
To Sleep.

 Hildy came to church for a while.
Then someone complained.
They said she upset them
Because her head wobbled and whe
Walked funny.
I remember that Mother was angry
And we didn't understand.
She was, after all,
Just Hildy.

She went to a nurshing home
When she got old and her Dad was gone
Ang her sister married.
My younger sister cared for her there.
She said that they liked to spoil Hildy.
I was pleased to hear that.
She deserved to be spoiled
For providing the summer evening
Music.

No comments: