Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dick got a haircut and his beard trimmed this afternoon over at Shear Delight which is the beauty parlor over at the Plymouth Care Center where he did rehab. Julie does such a good job and he looks very handsome and debonair. We ran into Bridgette, one of the CNAs and Scott, one of the maintenance men. Also, Leah, who worked with him in therapy. All of them were so glad to see Dick and were so good to him while he was there.

The last time we went for a haircut and/or therapy, the Care Center had lots of empty rooms. I guess that has changed dramatically. Apparently there is a cyclical flow and just before winter sets in lots of people are convinced to come to nursing homes. Children probably afraid to have their fragile parents home alone.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning the kitchen counters, updating the Uelmen family tree in my PAF file, checking out my herb remedies and getting the dates that some of them need straining on to the calendar and baking a pie. I had a purchased pie crust, not as good as homemade, but OK. I had also purchased a can of apple pie filling and added part of a can of crushed pineapple then covered it with a crumb topping. It is good and will hold us through the weekend.

Bart and Barb called from Germany. Bart leaves for home in the morning and will call when he gets home. He is not looking forward to the trip, or leaving Barbara but will be glad to get home and is looking forward to Jim and Michelle and her brother, Jim, being at his place for Thanksgiving. Barbara will be in Germany for just one more month. Thank heavens. She said that they were visiting a relative of hers and she and her cousin started talking German (German is coming back to her. She knew it when she was young.) She said Bart was amazed. They have had good times and I am so glad that he got to go.

Friday, Dick is having a colonoscopy done so we will be laying low and hunkering down from Thursday morning til the weekend is over.

Tomorrow, I am having lunch with my high school alumni. After lunch, I will meet Jeff and Shane out at the deer hunting site. Jeff is putting me in a new place (for me) nearer the road and he said he has seen signs there. He will walk in with me too. I am concerned that if it is too cold, I will not be able to stay too long, but I fully intend to give it a whirl.

If, just once, I could actually bring some game home from the hunt.

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day. I must remember to put up the flag in the morning. I do like to commemorate them. After all, Dick, Bart and lots of others I love served and need to be remembered. Also, the current servicemen in danger all over our globe. We must pray for them and treasure them.

God love you

Mary

No comments: