Friday, October 02, 2009

This was a very productive Friday.

I made several phone calls this morning, businessy stuff. I had received a notice from Volkswagen that I should bring the Passat in for a 10,000 mile service, which is under the warranty. However, we only have a little over 4600 miles on the car. So, I called for advise. I explained the situation to the receptionist and she, very cleverly, said. "You should just get out there and drive, girl." After we finished laughing she turned me over to the service department and he told me what I should do. In case you wonder, I am to bring it in for service in December, that is a time, rather than mileage criteria.

Then I mixed up the Marigold Wine. You have to first do a sugar/blossom/raisin mix with boiling water, then let it cool before adding the remaining ingredients. So I did that just before lunch and it was ready to finish this evening, which I did when I got back from pistol league.

Bobbie got her at about noon. We had the sausage/cabbage slow cooker dinner. It was very good. Then Bobbie and I went down to the "winery" and really got a lot done. We racked her strawberry wine - it sure smells good and is clearing up beautifully. Then we bittled her six liter batch of Barolo (I think that is the name of it) It is a nice dark red and tastes a bit like a Merlot though it is milder. There are over 30 bottles of it so it is a good thinkg it is pleasant. It has to age for 18 months per the instructions. One thing we have learned is that winemaking is not a hobby for the impatient. As the saying goes (I think it is Gallo) "No wine before its time."

Next week we will rack two of her scratch wines and they may be ready to bottle. We will see. We loaded the Barolo into Bobbie's car so that she could label it at home and then put it on her brand new wine racks that she has in their basement.

Roxie was sure glad to have Bobbie here for a while. She follows us down and participates in the wine making. It has gotten so that she expects us to go down ther and this gives her the opportunity to on the ledge of the windows that look out onto the back yard. I have no idea what kind of creatures she sees out there but she sure loves it.

After Bobbie left, I went out on a couple of errands. Mainly filling the gas tank. Tonight Nancy and I went to shoot pistol league at Rhine. I was not in good form tonight. Last week was much better. I wish I were more consistent. Every time I think I have figured it out, something gets goofy again. Oh well, it is still fun and Nancy and I ALWAYS have fun together. We have known each other since grade school, you know.

I expect to hear from Norb soon with my florescent site, perhaps that will help me focus.

Now it is almost 9PM. I figure, one more good night's sleep will really get me caught up.

Have a nice weekend. It should be very quiet, I think.

Mary


I received the following from a friend. An unusual take on "Redneck"


You might be a redneck if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, 'One nation, under God.'


You might be a redneck if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You might be a redneck if: You still say ' Christmas' instead of 'Winter Festival.'

You might be a redneck if: You bow your head when someone prays.

You might be a redneck if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

You might be a redneck if: You treat our armed forces veterans with great respect, and always have.

You might be a redneck if: You've never burned an American flag, nor intend to.

You might be a redneck if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You might be a redneck if: You respect your elders and raised your kids to do the same.

You might be a redneck if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend.

No comments: