Thursday, October 08, 2009

Sorry I didn't post last night. I ended up going to bed VERY early and just forgot.

Anyway, now I have two days to catch up on.

Yesterday was grocery shopping day. That went quite well. When I got home and had put everything away, Dick and I drove over to the Aurora Plymouth Clinic for our flu shots. That went very quickly and efficiently. We ran into my friend Del Mc Clintock there.

When we got home we had lunch and then Dick went down for a nap and I went downstairs and cut some more fabric for quilting. I remember one husband of a quilter describing his wife's hobby as "buying lots of pretty material, cutting it up into little pieces and sewing it back together again." Well, I am doing the cutting up part, I am about ready to dive into the sewing part. I also have an idea for another stump doll so I sewed the body for stuffing and will get on that one of these days too.

I also drove to Falls to take Mother her Iron pills and her banking receipts and money. We had a nice little visit. She had read an article about neighborhood grocery stores. When I was little there were several of them in Sheboygan Falls. I remember there was one across the street from Grandma and Grandpa Bowser's house up on the hill. When we visited Grandma we often walked over there to buy penny candy. Yes, there was penny candy. Actually quite a selection.

There was also a neighborhood grocery up Pine Street from our home on Pinehurst Court. It was much closer than downtown and I remember that Mom was able to send me for milk or something small when I was quite young. In those days, the bigger grocery stores delivered - with no extra cost. Mom said that some of them would come out to the house to take the order. Later, she would call in the order in the morning and they would deliver later in the day.

This got us onto jug beer. It was not uncommon for a guy to take a gallon jug and go to the pub and get it filled and go home to drink it. Mom remembered there was a family that the Dad sent his son down to the bar with the jug. And the bartender filled the jug for him. Can you imagine? Both the father and the bartender would be put directly in the calaboose now.

Anyway, today I got to stay home all day. The cleaning lady came today. So my floors are all vacuumed and scrubbed.

Bobbie came for lunch today. I made meatloaf and apple strudel. We had a lot of wine to take care of today. We racked the peach, the rhubarb, my lemon balm. We also racked the marigold into the secondary (which is the gallon jug). AND we bottled the rhubarb/elderberry. Boy is that a pretty wine. Roxie always comes down with us and now she is trying to get us to go down almost as soon as Bobbie gets into the house.

So that was pretty much the day. We had Pizza Soup that I made yesterday for our supper. That is a recipe that I got from Aunt Maryann when Dick and I visited her and Uncle Roman in Texas years ago. It isn't called that really but Sara and Nora named it that when I served it years ago so that is what we call it.

Tomorrow is not too busy. I think I will be able to join the bank ladies for lunch for the first time in weeks. I might get a cheeseburger.

Take care

Love

Mary

No comments: