Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A full day, but not too hectic.

The morning was all at home. I cleaned the fridge and gathered up the CWI items that I want to take a long with me to our Samhain celebration this Saturday. I just need to add the sign up book, my dishes and the colcannon.

Dick and I went in to Sheboygan to Wisconsin Prosthesis to have Tim look at Dick's shoe. I think I mentioned that there is a pink rubbed spot on his big toe. Tim kept the shoe and is going to make some adjustments. We are going to pick it up on Friday.

This evening I joined Bobbie at an herbal remedy class that Linda Conroy is teaching at the UW Sheboygan Campus. It was very informative so far. She went through the common wild herbs and plants that can be harvested for the four seasons, ending with Fall. Telling the names of many of them, and their uses. She then finished by giving us all a sample drink of an Oat Grass Infusion that she had made this morning. An infusion is made by pouring one quart of boiling water over 1 ounce of herb and letting it sit for 8 hours. Then you drain and drink it. It was a pleasant drink and is full of anti oxidants and other good nourishing things, much the same as one would get from oatmeal.

We finished off by chopping fresh horehound, putting it in glass jars and mixing spun raw honey into it. Now it should sit for at least four week, I think< then it will be a good cough remedy. Remember Horehound Drops?

Next week, weather permitting, we will take a short field trip and do a bit of foraging.

My friend Maureen called from Chicago this evening. She is in the hospital with hepatitis B and needs all the prayers that we can gather up for her.

Dick an I wer laughing at our Chelsea, she is getting kind of dippy, you know. Have you noticed that animals will often try to fluff up the place they are going to lie down on. She does that to the kitchen floor. Not even carpet. Suddenly we will hear scratching and clicking as she tries so hard to fluff up that tile. What a goofus.

Til tomorrow

Love

Mary

No comments: