Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Today started out quite nicely, thank you. I got up at about 6AM, not counting Chelsea's 4:30AM walk. The wind was blowing up a storm. It was cold and really strong. The temperatures were in the single digits. The weather experts said that it was minus zero with the wind chill.

I fixed pancakes and homemade syrup for breakfast for Dick, Richard, Brenda and myself.

Then, as Dick and Brenda were getting ready to go to Manitowoc to spend some time with Barbara before going back to Madison, I received a call from Donna, my sister in law. She was at Mother's. Donna had gotten a call from a friend of Mother's. Helen told Donna that she had talked to Mother and did not think she sounded good, so Donna zipped on over there and found Mother in bed, not feeling well at all. Mother was kind of drifting in and out of an odd sleep. So. Donna called 911.


I canceled Dick's appointments for the day and connected with everyone at Sheboygan Memorial a short time later. Mom was still drifting in and out of sleep. We all sat around in the waiting room, and/or with Mother until all the tests came in. As it turns out, nothing is really wrong. When she was starting the irrigation of her colon, there was a slight problem and we think this caused a shock to her already weak system.

Anyway, she was released and is back in her own home where she wants to be. After all, as Bobbie said, how can Daddy find her when he comes for her if she is not at home?

When I called tonight, she had just finished eating an omelet that she made for her supper. And she sounded quite strong. Donna and I are expecting a call from the VNA (Visiting Nurse Association) to arrange a meeting with them and her and us to determine what help she will be needing. We think that if someone is there for the first hour or two of her day, that she will be just fine, at least for the time being. That seems to be when she is most vulnerable.

To top everything off, my brother Jeff was getting ready to come to meet us at Memorial to be with Mom and slipped on the ice and hurt his shoulder very badly. Pray for him too. He will be evaluated for therapy tomorrow, I think, and will be quite a long time recovering.

I got home at about 3 and left almost immediately for the store as I had to get groceries and lottery tickets. Dick was napping when I left for the store.

It sure was a relief to get home and be able to stay here.

Please continue to pray for Barbara. She is now in a coma, quite quiet but fading steadily. Pray that she drifts gently into heaven. This would be so comforting for her children who I love very much.

Take care.

Tomorrow will be a much brighter day.

Love

Mary

No comments: