Sunday, August 17, 2008

Well, the bus trip that I organized for the Celtic Women was today. It was a great success. We had almost all our seats filled, plenty to pay for the bus, parking and give our driver Bill a nice tip.

We left the Kmart parking lot at 7:30, got to the grounds at about 8:45. We all went into the Marcus Ampitheatre for the Mass which was spectacular. There were thousands of people there. All enthusiastically singing along with the seated choir. We had TWO bishops Bishop Callahan, our new Milwaukee Diocese Auxiliary Bishop and Bishop Martin Drennan of Galway, Ireland. We also had lots of priests and they had enough Eucharistic Ministers that communion only took 10 minutes.

After Mass we all scattered to the grounds. Kate and I got lunch right away because we were starved. I dropped Mary Schultze's painting at the baggage check place that is on the ground and prayed that she was indeed going to be there because I didn't want to haul it home again. As it turned out, she marched in the parade with the Celtic Women (yes, I got to march in the parade at IrishFest) and I gave her the pick up slip then. I told her that if she had NOT come, I figured I would just TAKE it home and hang it because I do love it. It is a watercolor of people carrying the Irish Flag in a parade.

After we ate, we walked to the north end of the grounds and came back along the lake shore, stopping at the Children's Stage to listen to Tom Sweeney for a while. I first heard him when he sang in a group called Barley Bree many years ago. He sang with his brother and another guy and they did some great stuffl. Now he performs alone. He does two shows a day at Irish Fest. One early for the kids and one later on a bigger stage. We left before the later one so I made sure to see the Kid's show.

Next on to the Cultural Village where Kate ran into some O'Hara's from Sligo. Her mother was and O'Hara so Kate is a happy camper. We found my friend Cindy Matyi, She brought her prints AND the children's book that she wrote, Little Town of Spirals. Kate bought one and a print or two. I need to put Cindy back on the prayer chains. She still has the cancer. They are holding it at bay with radiation, but can't cure it or get it in remission. So Remember her, and her daughter who still needs prayer too.

We met Nancy and her friend Kathy at the Harp tent where I listened to a couple of songs then headed off to the Irishfest Song Circle which is SO much fun. There were at least 20 people in the circle and I was able to stay long enough to get once around. Each person has to sing a song and if the crowd knows it they join in. I sang Tom O'Connor's Wedding day.

I left in time to meet the others at the parade gathering spot. On the way, I picked up a my Irishfest glass of mead and stopped at the Tipperary Tea Room for a piece of Guiness Chocolate Cheese Cake.

There were not too many of us in the parage. Mary Schultze, Gail McAleese, Joan Kramer, Sheila Isaacson and me. We were joined by three others on the route, including Nancy and Kathy. Then it was time to head to the bus and come home. Got home just about 6PM. Dick and Chelsea were glad to see me. It is nice to come home to a happy welcome.

Dick had Bobbie pick me up an anniversary present. It is a neat tea for one pot. She and I saw them when we went to Richardson's to their tea room. We were both so impressed with it. Now I won't be having tea dripping all over the desk or the top falling into the cup. My other one does that. It is SO pretty but so messy. I can hardly wait to try the new one.

This evening I went out on the deck and heard cranes calling. I looked in the direction of the noise and three of them were flying. What a joy.

THEN: When I took Chelsea out, I saw a toad sitting next to the garage trying not to be noticed.

It was all together a very enjoyable day.

Hope yours was too.

Mary

No comments: