Saturday, January 26, 2008

We had a whole day at home again. The temperatures were up. When Chelsea and I walked, and we did walk, it was 19 degrees with no wind. We can take that. I think she was trying to lead me around the park, but I did not let her go out of the tract at all because they had not yet plowed the walkway around the park AND wading through 2 to 5 feet of snow to get back to Tall Grass was not in MY plans. She would have disappeared anyway.

Bobbie and Bill came over for dinner this evening. I fixed liver, as I mentioned earlier, for Bobbie and me and ribs for Bill and Dick. We also had tater tots, corn and Jello with banana cake with brown sugar frosting for dessert. It was a lovely evening and we got caught up with them. Bobbie and I split the liver and onions so we will have sandwiches for the next few days. It is really good liver. Randy Walter from Rhine Plymouth gave it to us. He and Regina buy a side of beef every so often and don't like liver so they share.

The other evening I was watching one of those shows where the host goes all over the place trying strange and different things to eat. This one mentioned Abalone Sandwiches. It reminded me of a story.

My ex husband loved abalone. You dive for abalone, you know. At one time I think he worked as a tender for an abalone diver. Anyway, he brought some home one evening and I told him that I didn't know how to cook it so he said that he would.

Sounded good to me. The boys were maybe 12 and 7 and we lived in HuntingtonBeach. We also had and electric oven. Dick had never cooked on anything but gas.

I went about my business, cleaning something upstairs and the next thing I knew there was black smoke hanging from the ceiling at about a foot deep and growing. He had started melting the butter in the frying pan while he cut and pounded the abalone for frying. Not realizing that you have to anticipate and turn down the heat before it gets too hot, he had the butter burned . The kids thought it was funny. We were opening doors and windows and crawling around on the floor to stay below the smoke.

Eventually, we got it cleared out and I instructed him on the nuances of electric heat so we could eat those delicious abalone.

Have a good Sunday.

Bobbie sent me an email for sharing and I l0ved a statement in it so will include it here.

'Whenever God Closes One Door He Always Opens Another, Even Though
>
> Sometimes It's Hell in the Hallway'\

Isn't it a great statement.

Mary

No comments: