Thursday, November 01, 2007

This was the "funnest" day. I got up at 6AM and took Chelsea for her walk IN THE DARK. Two more days til daylight savings time. Then I only have to convince her little inner clock to go to bed an hour later so she will get up an hour later.

It is a Holy Day. I have been notorious for the past few years at forgetting them. But this day I remembered. It is All Saints Day. The service was very nice. It is always good to go on these days when all of the school kids are at the service and do the readings and all. The reading was the Beatitudes. That reading has been on my mind lately.

Then I fixed breakfast for Dick and myself and headed off to pick up Kate. We drove to Lakeland where we met up with Bev Schellhaass, Jane Kocmoud, Sy Regan and Ann Pirrung and MaryAnn Hurtt who Jane and I met at the Ellen Kort workshop. We all sat together for the initial part of the day, readings by the authors: Philip Dacey, Poet and Margaret Dawe, Novelist. This is a fun way to start off a conference.

After the readings the six of us headed over to The Log Cabin restaurant for lunch and camaraderie. Then Jane, Mary Ann, Kate, Bev and I went back to Lakeland for the workshop. We all went to Philip Dacey, the poets and it was fun. I had sent in a Haiku that I had written.

COBWEBS
Friend from long ago
Do you ever think of me?
You stroll through my mind.

The workshop took the poems of those who had sent a work in. Philip had the poet read her work (all her in this case) and then the participants, except FOR the author, critiqued it and offered their interpretation and suggestions. It was marvelous. One thought was that this was an observation of Alzheimer's either from the view of the victim or the caretaker. (Of course, it could be argued that the caretaker is a victim too, but let's not quibble.) I was delighted.

Before the class, I was talking to a woman who looked somewhat familiar. We talked a bit and I asked her name. It was Marion Stewart. She was a reporter with the Sheboygan Press some 15 years ago or more and has moved to Colorado. She is here for the conference thought staying with her daughter. She was one of Dick's favorite reporters when she was here and he was still working as the director of Mead. They both have high and wonderful views of each other.

The end of the evening was in the PUB. Another session of readings from the authors with a wine and cheese event. A lovely day.

In between the workshop and the evening event, Kate and I went to Dairy Queen and purchased some ice cream treats then went over to my Mom's so I could introduce Kate to my Mother. We spent a wonderful hour eating ice cream and visiting.

Love you all

Mary

No comments: