Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I finished the Christmas Tree today. It is beautiful. Of course, I have never yet seen one that was not.

Mother tells a story about an ugly tree.

This happened years ago, when my Uncle Roman and Aunt MaryAnn lived in Sheboygan Falls, after the war and before Uncle Roman went back into the Air Force. Aunt Maryann did all the shopping, all the decorating and all the baking for Chistmas, except for the Christmas tree. She told Uncle Roman that he was going to do it that year and he agreed.

Well, the night before Christmas (trees were often and usually decorated the night before Christmas back then) Uncle Roman was out a bit late and perhaps imbibed a bit to much with his friends. Aunt MaryAnn was not bothered at all, at least outwardly. When he got home, the tree was still waiting. Aunt MaryAnn went to bed and Roman was left to it. He decorated all right. Mother said that it was the most gawd-awful mess you ever saw. But MaryAnn did not change an ornament. It was what it was and Christmas came any way. She is the most serene person I know. (Mother said that she couldn't have left it that way but MaryAnn did.)

We shopped this morning. Then I mixed up and rolled buckeyes. Tomorrow they will be dipped. That sounds kind of weird doesn't it. But that is what will happen. They will be dipped.

I hope to send the out of state packages early next week. Tomorrow Mother and I will go to Gibbsville to order the cheese boxes.

We had snow today. None is left on the ground but it came down for a couple of hours.

Barb called tonight. She had something to share with me. I am so happy to have her as a daughter in law.

Hope all is well everywhere. We are fine today.

Later

Mary

No comments: