Thursday, October 11, 2007

And we did get to stay home all day today.

Chelsea had a mixed night last night. She slept pretty quietly during the early part but sometime after midnight and before 5 when Dick got up she had several coughing spells and I heard her fall once. Then shortly after I got up she had the worst seizure I have seen her have. Since then, things have calmed down a lot. Every few hours she starts coughing but I have not witnessed any more seizures. Since she has now had her second dose of medicine, perhaps it is starting to work.

We did not walk far as she seemed a bit weak.

I had a quiet healing day myself. I did clean the bathrooms. I also did some sewing and Dick and I racked a gallon of current wine but mainly, I played and wrote on the computer, just hanging around.

I am looking through pictures to find any that I have of the jeep runs that we used to go on so that I can send them to Vikki. She wants to scan them on a disc for herself and for Reid Nordin, a friend. I am not finding as many as I thought I would but perhaps I have not hit the right box yet. I did find a couple of REALLY nice shots of the circle of campers and tents that we used to establish as a club when we went out jeeping. Also a good shot of the pig on the spit at one of our Thanksgiving runs. For many years, the Four Wheelers of Orange County went to the desert for the four day Thanksgiving weekend. Actually, because many people were obligated to stay home on Thanksgiving itself, we would celebrate with a group meal on Saturday. The guys got up WAY before dawn and put a pig and a quarter of beef on a huge spit that they powered with a generator. It cooked until about noon, tended constantly by one of the guys who would keep it moist with red wine and spiced with garlic etc.

In the meantime, Twila, sweet Twila, would mix up the beans. Potatoes were scrubbed and dispensed among the camper ovens and apples were peeled and put into a big pot, again by Twila, for fresh applesauce. At about 2 we would eat ourselves silly and then bring out the ice cream makers for home made ice cream.

I remember one year when Bret was little, he watched that pig going around and around on the spit and finally asked Orrin Nordin, "Can't it Oink anymore?" Orrin told him that he hoped not.

Those are nice memories. The jeep club was a nice organization, we always spoke of it as being a family organization and counted are membership not as individuals but as families.

Tomorrow will be busy. Hope you have a good one.

Love

Mary

No comments: