Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life." I got this in an email and sent it (along with the rest) to several of you.

Nice way to start a blog.

Today was quite productive. I went to the Historical Research Center today and met with Beth Dippel to be sure that we were OK with the plans for Mass at the Gathering of the Clans on August 13 at St. Michaels. After I got home, I made a few more calls and then did the skeleton of the Worship folder and sent the general idea to Fr. Mike so he can be aware of what is happening.

I got a call from Mother. She did not get her paper - AGAIN- She must have a delivery boy/girl who is as bad as the one Dick and I had several years ago. She has to call at least once a week to report that she has not gotten her paper. I sometimes wonder about their followup. They are quick enough to send someone out with the paper but can't seem to get reliable delivery people. She always has Donna or me call for her and I can see why. The instructions to report the problem are way to confusing for someone like my mother. Without us, she probably would just get screwed out of a paper.

The other day on the way home they were talking about the riots in Detroit in 1967. It reminded me of that horrible hot summer in 1965 when there were riots all over the country. I was living in Southern California at the time and we well aware of the Watts riots where 34 people died. There were also smaller insurrections in Santa Ana which is much closer to where I was living. I remember that it was a horrible time and that Watts and that part of Santa Ana were much like a war zone. How times have changed yet how much they have remained the same. It was in 1992 that the Rodney King riots occurred. For a different reason we know, but still awful and such violence and hate. I still remember seeing Reginald Denny laying in that street and being so unmercifully beaten by those men. I remember my fear because Bret lives there and Bret drove a pickup through some of those areas. I did not rest until I knew he was safe. All mother's sons should be safe.

Have a good Wednesday. We go to another diabetes class tomorrow.

Mary

I

No comments: