Saturday, July 07, 2007

A real scorcher today. It was very pleasant, only 65 or so when Chelsea and I walked, but got up over 90 by the end of the day.

The only place I had to go today was to the Pig. I actually probably wouldn't have had to go but wanted to take advantage of a good price on blueberries and strawberries which will be over before we actually shop again.

The rest of the day was really very nice. Dick and I racked another of the scratch wines. I cut out 27 more denim squares for a future quilt. I am half way there. If anyone has any worn jeans, cotton jeans not blends, that they are going to throw away. I can use them. Any color is OK. Different shades and color and even weight will give character to the quilt.

I baked a cake with the small amount of currants that were left after I mixed up that newest batch of currant wine. It is actually called Red Currant Pie (Or is It Cake). Isn't that interesting. It is baked much like a pie but has a cake like crust and a meringue/currant topping. It is very good. Did I tell you that I traded some of my pepper jelly to Tom Lawonn for some of his currant jelly?

I have been working on three poems for a poetry contest that is put on by the Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets. I just joined them about a month ago and this contest is only open to members. I was a member several years ago but did not renew and never heard from them. This time I joined and have had emails from at least two members of their board, received a welcome packet AND a first "museletter." (Isn't that poetic.)

I remember when I was still living at home, for all the time that I can remember, that Mother canned all summer of the things they grew or could buy very cheap during the growing season. I remember an entire wall in the basement aglow with the beautiful colors of all the things she canned. Shelves full of tomato juice, and green beans, and pickles, and peaches, and pears and sauerkraut and jellies. Enough to feed 11 people (and all the stragglers that appeared at various meals) for an entire winter. And we ate good too.

I learned some of that. I never was a big canner, but do make Jelly and refrigerator pickles. I also freeze if I have excess fresh foods. I guess it is just built in to me not to be wasteful.

Have a nice Sunday. We are going to have another scorcher.

Love

Mary

No comments: